Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: lycoming or continental builders?

Default Re: lycoming or continental builders?

Looks like I win , mine weighs 960 lbs . Still performs well with the 125 HP IO-240. After 17 years no regrets , its a great airplane. Just helped a buddy spec out his order for a carbon cub EX-2 -about 150K in kit form, a nice airplane but ouch . Bruce N199CL

Phil ,Still can't figure out how you shaved so much weight from your plane, pretty amazing. Bruce N199CL

I have to challenge Phil on that one ...

886? I am very skeptical, I suspect a scale problem. There is no way possible you could remove
    50'ish+ pounds from N85AE, simply not possible. Bruce and I are very close, and I suspect correct at
    950 or so

Even if I removed some major items (like the prop) I couldn't get it that light.

Airframe cannot be that much different, and I know I don't have 50 pounds of paint on it ...

However even if the scale is off, Balance matters more anyway, and if it flies good weight really
    is just a number that changes every flight.

Jeff

Quote Originally Posted by PapuaPilot View Post
    Currently 893#.

It started around 886#...

You are absolutely right Jeff, it was 887 lbs. Here is the picture of the certified scales I borrowed from work to do it. I weighed it twice and came up with the same numbers.

I can't explain 50 lbs. But, I didn't do steam gauges and a vacuum system which saved a lot, probably 20-25 lbs. I have a single screen bare minimum Garmin G3X panel. I kept the paint from getting overly thick at the recommendation of a friend who put too much on his Cub and got cracking within a few years. I shaved 6 lbs. by using 3 in 1 LED wingtip lights instead of using the Whelen lights, power pack and heavy wiring that came with it. The Catto prop is only 11-12 lbs. I took off the alternator that came on the engine and got the orange B&C 30 amp alternator, which shaved about 6 lbs. I have the fiberglass formed instrument panel, not the aluminum one. Right here I see potentially 40 pounds, so it may not be that far off.

W&B1.jpg

Attachment 25434
    Phil Nelson
    A&P-IA, Maintenance Instructor
    KF 5 Outback, Cont. IO-240
    Flying since 2016

Still though, that's 74 lb less than Bruce, and I know he didn't build heavy. I suppose
    it's possible, but he didn't do a vac system (I did and ended up lighter). I could take my
    entire panel and put it on the scale along with all the wiring in the plane, and the vaccum
    system, and it would not be 74 pounds ...

For sure things like a lighter alternator, and strobes would make some difference, but wow
    74 pounds ...?

Maybe it's really that light, it's just very surprising to me that it's possible.

Guess I need to pedal my bike a LOT more to lose more weight ...

Jeff

Thank you everyone for your weight replies. Now I am wondering if those with the 915's could add some input on your empty weights, and possibly a brief comment on options, Many Thanks again, Billy

I know you've asked for 915-powered birds, but for comparison my 7SS has a relatively heavy all-"steam gauge" beefed-up aluminum panel with iFly 740 GPS, Garmin radio and transponder with separate altitude encoder and uAvionix ADS-B in/out. It has a single-axis DigiTrak autopilot and standard servo, "standard" AGM battery, T3 tail spring, heavy duty Grove main, 22" smooth tundra tires, and 912 ULS with oil & coolant thermostats, Whirlwind 3-blade prop & carbon fiber spinner, LED combo position/strobe wingtip lights & single LED AeroSun landing/taxi light. Oratex covering. Also a few custom "extras" like an oil separator on the breather system, heater control ball valve, extra handle for ground handling on the fuselage, extended cargo area aluminum floor behind the standard cargo bay "sack" (with zippers). 819# empty weight with oil (includes fire extinguisher & 2 headsets).
    John Evens
    Arvada, CO
    Kitfox SS7 N27JE
    EAA Lifetime
    Chap. 43 honorary Lifetime

Thanks you so much for your description, Sounds like a very nice plane and I am sure you are enjoying the flying experience ! All of this info is very helpfull in making my decisions. billy

Thank you for all your great input and sharing of numbers. Helps out tremendously , See you in the air soon I hope to say !! billy

IO-340 1013 empty. Flies great!
    Jeff
    KF 5
    340KF