Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch

Thread: Exhaust to firewall clearance

Default Exhaust to firewall clearance

I'm just about done installing a 912UL into my KF2. I had to rework the exhaust fairly extensively and not I'm making the firewall. The 582 had large openings for the rudder pedals but my exhaust is far enough back that I can maybe go forward an inch and even then the exhaust will be quite close to the firewall. Is there a minimum allowable distance between the firewall and exhaust headers?

I can reshape the headers but I would really like to leave them where they are now. I also worry that the rudder pedals might need to be far enough back that I might be a little cramped.

Default Re: Exhaust to firewall clearance

CoClimber - is there enough room to add a heat deflector? Insulation material? Will the headers be located where you can ensure airflow? Any chance you can add a picture or two? In a kit Cobra I had to do the heat deflector and airflow tricks to get the foot box comfortable for the passenger and the header was about 1.7 inches from the side wall if that helps.

Default Re: Exhaust to firewall clearance

I think I should have about 1/4" clearance from the header to the firewall. This is for a short section where the header goes towards the firewall then turns down and forward to the muffler. I ordered some insulating exhaust wrap tape for this section. I am thinking that I will leave the engine side of the firewall bare then if I want heat or sound insulation I will add foam sheets to the passenger side of the firewall.