Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bad Stab Bushings?

Default Bad Stab Bushings?

Hello all! First post here!

I'm unable to fit bolts into my stab bushings and think I may have gotten bad ones, but just wanted to check with you all. Searched the forums and could not see where anyone has this issue (if it is one) and I've messaged others that said they had no problems fitting the blots into bushings out of the box. Only one person I've spoken with mentioned taking his to a machine shop to ream them.

The manual mentions to sand down outside to get them to fit into the bearing, but no mention of reaming them to fit the bolt in. Is this unusual and warrants a call to Kitfox or have others had to ream them?

Thank you all for the help!

bushing.jpg

Default Re: Bad Stab Bushings?

I reamed them.
    Eddie Forward
    Flying
    SS7, 912iS, Garmin G3X

Quote Originally Posted by efwd View Post
    I reamed them.
    Thanks Eddie! I shall do the same then.

I ran into a number of these things. Instead of taking to a shop, I would order a reamer from mcmaster carr or somewhere similar, set the parts aside, and move on to another task. There is a fair amount of this, especially later when you are wiring/plumbing. You will get good at it.

yep, ream em. mine turned out great.

Quote Originally Posted by Meyer View Post
    I ran into a number of these things. Instead of taking to a shop, I would order a reamer from mcmaster carr or somewhere similar, set the parts aside, and move on to another task. There is a fair amount of this, especially later when you are wiring/plumbing. You will get good at it.
    Sure hope I get better Gave it a try myself and I'm able to fit the bolt in, but you can tell it isn't perfectly straight. I'm using the reamers that came with the Kitfox Toolkit; do you recommend picking up some from McMaster-Carr over those?
    Building Kitfox STi
    Build videos - http://spectrefox.com/

The best way I found, and it has been suggested by others, to ream a straight hole is to put the handle thru the hole and PULL the reamer thru. If you push it thru it is really easy to start at an angle=bad.
    Jim Ott
    Portland, OR
    Kitfox SS7 flying
    Rotax 912ULS

Makes sense. Tried on mine, but the reamer is too big to pull through and I believe it's the smallest reamer I have. May have to order some smaller ones and work my way up until the right sized reamer can be pulled through.

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk
    Building Kitfox STi
    Build videos - http://spectrefox.com/

If you start with a smaller reamer, go about .004 smaller. In general when reaming, you do not really want to be reaming the last .001 off of something. Better to take a decent bite out of something like .004. If you buy a reamer, should only need one size smaller.

During the whole build I only bought 2 I think.

We discovered a batch of bushings that we’re not drilled to the proper spec prior to being put into he parts bin. Get a hold of John or Debra and they’ll line you out.

brandon