Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Data Plate mounting

Default Data Plate mounting

The DAR who will be doing my inspection definitely wants to see the dataplate on the side of the fuselage just ahead of the horizontal. Any hints as to the best way to affix it ? Model 4, so no real hard points there, probably need to mount it to fabric. Mine is painted with polyurethane paint, what have you folks been doing to mount the dataplate ?
    Scot Trueblood
    Bonita Springs, FL

Kitfox IV in Phase 1 Flight Testing

Default Re: Data Plate mounting

Scott,

Don't have a photo; however, I kept my DAR happy by pop riveting the stainless steel data plate with SS pop rivets through the fabric into a thin SS backer plate including a narrow SS band on the back side which was formed to loop around, but not touch a convenient tubing member.

What they are looking for is something that will survive a catastrophe and remain attached to the aircraft.
    Dave S
    Kitfox 7 Trigear (Flying since 2009)
    912ULS Warp Drive

St Paul, MN

I think some have rivited the ID plate to the aluminum cover plate under the horizontal stablizer. My Avid and Kitfox are done like that. I've seen others mounted there as well. JImChuk

By regulation data plates need to be mounted so that they can't be "removed during normal service" (FAR 45.11). That means that it can't go on any removable panels.

I put an aluminum plate on the inside of the fabric and used pop rivets. I have heard of DARs that insist it is attached to the airframe in case of a fire that would burn the fabric. If that becomes an issue you could use a short piece of metal cable that is somehow riveted to the data plate and attached to the fuselage.
    Phil Nelson
    A&P-IA, Maintenance Instructor
    KF 5 Outback, Cont. IO-240
    Flying since 2016

You're right.
    a)
    Aircraft and aircraft engines.
    Aircraft covered under §21.182 of this chapter must be identified, and each person who manufacturers an aircraft engine under a type or production certificate shall identify that engine, by means of a fireproof plate that has the information specified in §45.13 of this part marked on it by etching, stamping, engraving, or other approved method of fireproof marking. The identification plate for aircraft must be secured in such a manner that it will not likely be defaced or removed during normal service, or lost or destroyed in an accident. Except as provided in paragraphs (c), (d), and (e) of this section, the aircraft identification plate must be secured to the aircraft fuselage exterior so that it is legible to a person on the ground, and must be either adjacent to and aft of the rear-most entrance door or on the fuselage surface near the tail surfaces. For aircraft engines, the identification plate must be affixed to the engine at an accessible location in such a manner that it will not likely be defaced or removed during normal service, or lost or destroyed in an accident.

Well isn't this interesting - is this a contradiction in the FARs?
    From 45.13 (d) (2):

(d) Persons performing work under the provisions of Part 43 of this chapter may, in accordance with methods, techniques, and practices acceptable to the Administrator—

(2) Remove an identification plate required by §45.11 when necessary during maintenance operations.

Could it be that removing a panel that has the data plate riveted to it - one that has to be reinstalled once maintenance is complete - is not the same a removing a data plate by "un-riveting" it?

I'll call a DAR as soon as I think he is up this morning and let you know what he says.

It's not a contradiction. First of all EAB aircraft don't fall under Part 43 (FAR 43.1.b). FAR 43 applies to certified aircraft and products.

FAR 45.13 allows certified mechanics (i.e. an A&P) to remove a data plate if required for maintenance, but it doesn't trump 45.11 that says data plates need to be secured so they can't be removed in normal service. Pilots/owners are not allowed to remove them, period.

Removing a data plate usually involves removing rivets. Typically an A&P will removes data plates for painting, sheet metal repairs or alodining/treatment of the part or skin. I often remove data plates from magnetos and alternators when I am doing 500 hr. inspections and overhauls because I am going to paint/powder coat/alodine the housings. As an A&P I am also responsible to make sure the correct data plate is put back on the same product it came off from. It is a violation to change data plates. Falsification is one of the worst violations in the FAAs eyes.
    Phil Nelson
    A&P-IA, Maintenance Instructor
    KF 5 Outback, Cont. IO-240
    Flying since 2016

Turns out that wishful reading or interpretation of the CFRs on my part is not a worthy effort. The discussion with my go-to DAR yielded the same as what PapuaPilot said. Another point we discussed was in regards to attaching to the frame or to the fabric: it is pretty much opinion (for the reasons previously discussed) - check with the person you'll be using for your AWC to avoid issues.

I wonder if either the front or bottom corner of the access panel could be a separate piece that is attached with rivets to the airframe. That part would be just large enough to hold the ID plate that is also riveted on to it, and then still have enough access to the fuselage area that the access panel is meant to provide. I wonder this as I'm sitting at my computer, rather then out in the hangar looking at the plane to see weather this would really work....some thing to consider perhaps? JImChuk

The reason for a rule to allow removal is that on many older jets the data plate is inside on panels that on a rare instance are removed.

you can mount under the horz close to the leading edge.

David Kelm

A&P, IA, DART, DARF

7SS, 912is, Garmin