Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch

Thread: Looking for experienced builders

Default Looking for experienced builders

Hey guys! New to the page, but I have enjoyed following along the dual kitfox build in the build threads...what a cool story. Looking to build my own s7 sti but I don’t have a large pool of experienced mechanic buddies to help with the build. I have zero experience. Don’t really want to screw something up when my life is going to be on the line. Are there kitfox “help-build” workshops out there like Vans has for their RVs? If not I don’t suppose I could convince one of you experienced guys on here to join with me for the right price? Just not sure where to start. I’ve seen some awesome builds online, but it seems like all of them have a huge group of friends that were able to help them and a warehouse to keep their stuff in. Thanks for your time reading!

Default Re: Looking for experienced builders

I was a first time zero experience builder and built mine virtually totally alone in a two car garage; a friend or wife to occasionally help lift something. The only technical help was this great forum and an occasional call or email to the factory. All EAA chapters have technical counselors who are happy to help, but I did not use them until at the end as a formality. I am a handyman do-it-yourself kind of guy with no formal training as a mechanic or builder; I just read and follow directions very well. You can do it without a "huge" group of friends because they are here on this forum. I am afraid that somehow you have gotten a totally wrong idea of what it takes to build one of these great kits. I really don't think anyone who has built one of these kits has ever really put his life in jeopardy; the main difference between a really skilled builder and a lousy one is the cosmetic look and fit and finish of the finished airplane. Go for it! We are all here for you.
    Jim Ott
    Portland, OR
    Kitfox SS7 flying
    Rotax 912ULS

Excellent, thank you for the reply! That is very encouraging to hear! It definitely seems intimidating, but with responses like that it takes all the nerves away. Didn’t mean to insult the kitfox quality...it was a dig at the lack of my man skills. I can change my own oil and mow the lawn. And that’s about it lol. I didn’t have any do-it-yourself mentors growing up, so it never really became a priority. As I’m getting older I am noticing that I seem to have caught ‘the bug’. I have tremendous respect for guys like yourself and always envied that kind of knowledge and experience. Finding myself watching 2 hour long videos on YouTube about changing transmissions and then saying “why am I watching this!?” Haha I look forward to learning these skills so that hopefully one day I have a kid and can raise them right...with a big heart and an even bigger tool kit Hopefully one day I’ll be the one helping a younger version of myself. I like your idea. I’ll get started with a local chapter and maybe ask a technical counselor if I can be a fly on the wall during some of the maintenance going on and learn that way. Thank you Jiott!

I have been working on mine for a year. Never built a plane before, am building in my home garage. I am mechanically inclined, but the instructions are also really good. This forum is helpful too. I got my instruction book early before my kit got delivered. I spent time surfing the build threads and making notes on options, things others wished they had done differently, tools I did not have, etc. Join an EAA chapter too. Visit someone nearby who has built one. I have a few folks I call/text and trade pictures with to get help. I mostly just lurk/search on here.

I believe the trick to getting it done is to do something on it every day. Things may not be understood when you try to read page 90 of some section now, but by time you get there, lay the parts out, search the forum, it comes together.

You guys rock thank you! I’m looking forward to it.

This is absolutely something you can do yourself if you're somewhat technically inclined (minimally). That being said Ive been throwing around the idea of offering some form of builders assistance. I loved building mine and honestly miss building. If you ever need help I would be happy to do so.

Thanks Joe! I’ll remember that and reach out again before I purchase...PS...I love Charleston. I’m perfectly fine with stationing the build there so I have an excuse to go back

Next time you’re in town get in touch we can go flying!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk