Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Gear Choice Thoughts

Default Gear Choice Thoughts

My place in line is coming closer. I am now trying to nail down all the details of the order sheet. Can I get some reflections on gear choices? It seems that there are three options -- traditional cabane, grove spring gear and the monster shock gear. I'm not sure I fully understand the difference between the cabane and the monster -- i'm sure the monster has more damping, looks cooler and costs more(?). Anyway, there are a couple threads about this sort of thing -- i'm trying to see if time and use has changed anyones thoughts.

I know it's all about mission -- my mission is trips out west on wheels to check out backcountry flying, wheels and floats to Bahamas and (potentially) teach a kid to fly. South Florida based. Hangar will be a trailer. It may take a little time to get it on floats. Only because it matters for this discussion I will say that I believe in hitting your spot as a significant priority over "smooth and soft landings" -- some of the scariest landings I've ever seen have been plenty smooth and soft.

So. i'm wondering if the grove gear is significantly more "sproingy" than the other options? Yep, made that one up right here and now. Sometimes the 172 I fly feels like it just might re-launch me --- the cub i sometimes fly (when I FINALLY get all the energy off) does not really ever feel like that. I am poor at flying both planes. and low time. but the premise remains.

I'm not a great flarer. Which set of gear when you're not a great flarer?

Do tires play into this discussion? Could I take the advantages of grove gear and then throw moderate size bush wheels on there to function as some level of shock absorber?

I THINK that i'm comparing a bit more weight and "sproinginess" (on the grove side) versus a significant speed penalty on the cabane/monster side. I'm inclined to take the speed and simplicity of the grove. but if the cabane or monster is going to make me feel really good about myself (completely undeservedly of course) then i'm 100% sure I could talk myself in that.

Default Re: Gear Choice Thoughts

My understanding is the normal cabane gear is bungie cord damped. More springy if dropped in and more maintenance. The monster shock is cabane, but with the shock absobers, that provide mor damping and less bounce. And grove gear in spring Aluminum that can be repositioned the either tricycle or tail dragger, tri gear comes with the grove gear. Also check your insurance from reading on here, that a low time pilot with a taildragger the insurance can be rather high

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Hawkertech; 02-27-2020 at 11:36 AM.

Buy the spring gear and move on. Maintenance free. Clean. Faster.

Hawker -- that's kind of my analysis as well -- the monster is like an upgraded cabane. and i think the regular cabane can get eliminated. I got quoted $1500 on conventional gear at Falcon -- my underwhelming amount of tailwheel time probably hurt me? But I don't think that's too outrageous. In the ballpark enough to go ahead and do the build anyhow.

Guppy -- that's kinda where i'm headed here... just don't want to set myself up to be a kangaroo if there's a choice. but you're right -- when 10mph is 8% of your overall airspeed it makes a big difference.

anyone flown both?

I agree, the regular cabane gear can be eliminated, mainly due to susceptibility to damage in my opinion. The Grove is super tough, simple and not that bouncy. Due to the super high cost and speed reduction, my opinion is that the monster gear only makes sense for those whose mission includes lots of rough Off Airport landings (the Trent Palmer kind of stuff).
    Jim Ott
    Portland, OR
    Kitfox SS7 flying
    Rotax 912ULS

Stick & Rudder flight school in Idaho uses Grove gear on their Kitfox training aircraft. Hundreds of students have mastered the Kitfox taildraggers in some real challenging backcountry strips.

DesertFox4
    Admin.
    7 Super Sport
    912 ULS Tri-gear

I've never flown a monster shock gear equipped aircraft just cessnas(spring gear) and a few cabane/ bungee equipped Cubs (less than 10 hrs) so not much experience to speak of.
    From what I've seen it's like someone who's driven an old beater car all their life, and then gets to finally drive something really nice. It's hard to go back to the beater after the new car. I don't think ive seen anyone say they don't like the way the monster gear handles.

Here's Mark Pateys review of the monster shocks:
    https://youtu.be/mi5k6WOwmX4

Here's my take.

I've flown the classic style bungee gear and grove gear. I do not have or have I flown the fancy "shock" gear.

The standard bungee gear works. You need to be skilled to land it well. It's a good teacher. It's stiff and requires maintenance of changing the bungees every so often. But, it does work just fine, even in the back country.

The fancy shock gear is awesome. There is no denying this. Does it's function justify the huge cost? That is the main question. Is your primary mission competition or intense back country action the majority of the time? If the HONEST answer to this is "yes", then the shock gear is for you.

The Grove spring gear. In my opinion it is a great compromise between the two. It has great travel and absorption of bumps when off field. It is far less draggy than the shock or bungee gear. The weight penalty over the bungee gear is overblown in my opinion. My old model IV gained 12 pounds to convert to Grove from Bungee. The shock gear is similar in weight to the Grove. As Steve noted above, the guys at Stick and Rudder use Grove gear. They have flown and instructed in every type of terrain. It works great.

Everyone sees Trent or whoever running the Monster/Shock gear and think they NEED to have this to fly the plane. If the plane is flown properly the spring gear does not bounce or "throw" you back into the air. These are symptoms of a bad landing. The shock gear often just mask poor or sloppy technique.
    Av8r3400
    Kitfox Model IV
    The Mangy Fox
    912UL 105hp Zipper
    YouTube Videos

Great analysis Larry, you saved me from a bunch of one finger typing , I'm gonna give you an Amen to that. Bruce N199CL

My extremely limited experience is with the TK1 shock monster gear.
    Bought the kitfox V last October and the rotax hoses were almost 20 years old so had them changed out and the Grove gear for the TK1 gear before I ever fired it up.
    Lost 7 pounds swapping out the gear.
    Got a bunch of landings in and my CFI kept raving about how sweet the gear is.
    When I stall it a couple feet off the ground it drops with a very light tap and a whoosh.
    When I wander off the runway and through a ditch or a snowbank it soaks it up like a champ and the CFI says that would probably have torn grove Gear off the plane.
    Was told that if I kept the aluminum spring gear on the plane that it would make me a better pilot, but knew I need all the help I can get.
    CFI made the mistake saying that if the plane had tires we could land in a dry lake bed, so the 29" bushwheels were in mail next day.
    Now It's mashing ruts, snow and huge frozen cowpies. Between the gear and the tires its pretty amazing.
    Pretty sure the CFI wouldn't have put up with me this long except that the plane is so fun to fly