Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch

Thread: Yeah, BABY!!

Default Yeah, BABY!!

About ready to hear engine noises....
    Hung the engine on, chain hoist in the barn. Have had the engine on a stand with a mock up of the firewall so I could pre fit things. Rolled it out to the barn and hoisted it off. I transfered things from the stand to the firewall. Hooked up the engine controls and oil lines and she looks pretty sweet.

So, there are numerous things attached to the engine. It is a massaged Continental 0-200. Fuel metering is an Ellison EFS-3, which is finiky about air flow so there’s an aluminum bell mouth mounted and a phelem chamber underneath. The air intake and filter are in front of #3 cylinder. The open snoot in the front below the prop flange is a ram air intake from a NACA scoop on the fron of the cowling to provide blast cooling for the bottom of the engine. (Small Continental’s cool the oil by venting air over the bottom of the engine). Because of the extra heat this engine is going to produce I also added a blastduct for the finned oil filter behind #2 cylinder. Still more to attach, but I like the way it is turning out.

Two decades ago when I started this project I added things that I probably wouldn’t now. Which is why I am going on my 25th year of construction.

Default Re: Yeah, BABY!!

Alright! Looks great. I dont see an oil cooler. Pretty sure you will need one. I had to put one on my O-200. In summer I still have to watch oil temp during climb, but not too bad.
    Ken
    SS7 O-200 Whirlwind

I have a cockpit adjustable cowl flap as well. I hope that between the blast cooling over the finned oil filter and the cold blast air tray under the spine of the engine case that I won’t need an oil cooler.

What all have you done to the o-200? Im going this same route. Looking to squeeze more out of this little fella. NFS pistons and PMAG for starters.