Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Rib Lacing in the Prop Wash

Default Re: Rib Lacing in the Prop Wash

Apologies for the little digression! I saw on the forum that some used the poly fiber reinforcement tape under the rib-lacing on an Oratex covered wing. I still have that tape that came with the kit and I am curious if it's OK to go that route (mixing covering systems?!...). Alternatively, I could make tapes from left-over Oratex 6000 and Oratex hotmelt.
    Last edited by Sink Rate; 12-12-2020 at 02:12 PM.

In the Tips & Tricks booklet from Better Aircraft Fabric, they say the Poly-Fiber reinforcing tapes are the most suitable for using with Oratex.

Rick

Wow! OK. That answers it! Thank you very much, Rick!

I wish I had that Tips & Tricks booklet. Lars just sent it to me
    Last edited by Sink Rate; 12-12-2020 at 04:37 PM.

Editing here, Crap, for some reason I went straight to the thread and only realized it now. I will leave the rest up so people have that little tidbit about the wax thread.

Lars and I had a lengthy discussion about the waxed, flat thread from Poly Fiber. He did not recommend it then and encouraged me to use the round stuff supplied by better aircraft fabric (him). He said if I wanted to use the flat waxed thread (it isn't available without wax)I had to get the wax out. Carl did that and he will likely advise how that was done. I did recommend that people strip the wax and use the flat thread because mine are quite apparent beneath the tape. The tape is prone to lift up off the surface if it has to encase the round thread so you have to use plenty of the glue to make "ramps" up and over the threads. Mine are all good but I bet Carls looks a lot better. If the wax is not stripped, the wax will melt and spread out from beneath the tape and onto the wing fabric. I guess this makes it look like you have dirty spots at every thread.
    Last edited by efwd; 12-12-2020 at 07:47 PM.
    Eddie Forward
    Flying
    SS7, 912iS, Garmin G3X

Quote Originally Posted by efwd View Post
    Editing here, Crap, for some reason I went straight to the thread and only realized it now. I will leave the rest up so people have that little tidbit about the wax thread.

Lars and I had a lengthy discussion about the waxed, flat thread from Poly Fiber. He did not recommend it then and encouraged me to use the round stuff supplied by better aircraft fabric (him). He said if I wanted to use the flat waxed thread (it isn't available without wax)I had to get the wax out. Carl did that and he will likely advise how that was done. I did recommend that people strip the wax and use the flat thread because mine are quite apparent beneath the tape. The tape is prone to lift up off the surface if it has to encase the round thread so you have to use plenty of the glue to make "ramps" up and over the threads. Mine are all good but I bet Carls looks a lot better. If the wax is not stripped, the wax will melt and spread out from beneath the tape and onto the wing fabric. I guess this makes it look like you have dirty spots at every thread.
    I just finished my STi wing rib stitched with Oratex. I use the supplied reinforcing tapes and stripped the wax off of the stitching. Before applying 2" finishing tape I encapsulated each stitch with 2 coats of glue. It turned out fantastic! There was just enough wax residue to allow the knots to slide below the surface.
    S7 STi O-320 currently flying

I've also use Oratex but did so without the rib lacing. I had a lengthy discussion with both Lars and an engineering person/team from the factory and with the 1" capstrip it was agreed that it was not required - as long as it was done right. Additionally I have the LLE adding to the total glued surface area in addition to the tanks. In my testing the fabric separates from itself catastrophically before any properly glued area lets go - and it took a lot to make that happen. I know that's not providing any proof of anything directly, but it does add to my confidence in the system. That said, there is no flight time as of yet - inspection is upcoming. Depending on where you live that might play a determining factor. Here in Canada if the manual says it's required (rib stitching) then you must have it unless the factory provides a letter otherwise. I built a 6, and there's no requirement in the manual for rib stitching with poly. I did have to get an exemption from the factory to decrease my seam size as per suggestions in the Tips & Tricks from Lars as it deviates from manufactures install manual for Oratex.
    912 IS
    Airmaster Prop
    Garmin Stack
    C-FKLO