Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Possible Kitfox Flight Training in AL?

Default Re: Possible Kitfox Flight Training in AL?

Warp Drive props were a hot topic at the LEAF seminar this past summer at Airventure. The problem with the square tipped props is weight at the tip. The gyro forces of maneuvering combined with that tip weight can and does (according to LEAF) cause gearbox damage.

Just passing on what I have heard. Take it for what it is worth.
    Av8r3400
    Kitfox Model IV
    The Mangy Fox
    912UL 105hp Zipper
    YouTube Videos

I'll have to agree the square tip props are heavier ,..denser materials in the Warp then the IVO's.
    A friend of mine and I ...I had the tapered tip 3 blade warp ,..he had the square tip 3 blade warp,..his pitch ended up slightly less then mine,..but he would slowly walk away from me,..we had identical aircraft identical motors identical reductions,..I could get off the ground faster then he could,..not sure if this was the prop or because he weighed in at 250 lbs more likely the weight I was 205 then ,..the good ole days

Chase

I bought the aircraft with the tapered tips on it so have no idea about the difference with square tips. Speaking of beauty,I am seriously concidering swaping props and going to the Kiev.Now that is a beauty ! All of the guys that own Highlanders seem to love it.
    Dick

My 4 has a Rotax 912UL (225hrs). I have installed oil cooler and radiator shutters,electric elevator trim with switch on the stick, vg's, the new "bush" gear, and a host of other items. After these mods,I have cured all of the things that were bugging me about the aircraft. It now pretty much behaves like a "clipped wing" cub (faster roll and pitch of course) and is a real joy to fly.
    Dick
    Attached Images Attached Images

catz631, great looking plane . the trim mod looks interesting . i removed the droop tips on mine and installed removable rounded ones .
    ive also heard some good things about the keiv prop but being a product of the cold war/viet nam era i would rather not have anything from russia . if the squar tip warp does damage to the gearbox thats too high of a price to pay for looking cool , may have to get mine tapered .
    cp

Hey Dick, where did you get those louvers? Also I have a new Kiev but my Speedster is no quite finished. Great looking prop. There's a lot of neat new stuff coming out of the Czech Republic, probably the top producer of new light sport aircraft who were occupied by the Soviets after being occupied by the ****s. James Thomas

I bought all my mods from Highwing LLC. Lowell puts out some high quality ,neat stuff that we need for our aircraft. I also have his low fuel warning system and his "throttle link". The throttle link allows me to pneumatically balance my carbs in about 30 sec after I have the hoses setup. You just turn a knob in the cockpit check the sync needle and your done ! It's fantastic. You could do it in the air if you were set up for it.
    Dick

Forget the louvers on the oil cooler, just put the oil thermostate on from lockwood and forget about it. In fact, this will suprise a few, I have less drain back on the oil tank since I put the thermostate on. This has been about a total of 800hrs between both engines. The grove gear can't be beat, I don't care about the extra 20lbs it is nice and strong, and I have landed on some pretty rough landing strips. The vg's I love those good idea, just make sure you have them installed right. The electric trim, love that also.
    steve
    slyfox
    model IV 1200-flying
    912uls
    IVO medium in-flight
    RV7A-flying
    IO-360
    constant speed prop

Hey Slyfox, I have the thermostat with my oil cooler. I was thinking more about the one for the radiator. I'll wait and see first how my temps run before I add one. I have the grove gear too. James Thomas

Winter came before I could do my newest mod and that would be to install that shutter on the radiator, but cut the one end off, why, I install the heater off the radiator for the winter, and yes it does put out a good amount. I use an oil funnel and than hose it into the cabin. Currently I block off the radiator from the funnel over with tape. Puts the temps right where they need to be.
    steve
    slyfox
    model IV 1200-flying
    912uls
    IVO medium in-flight
    RV7A-flying
    IO-360
    constant speed prop