Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch

Thread: Kitfox model 1 Grove Gear

Default Kitfox model 1 Grove Gear

Just got my Grove Gear for my model 1 that I ordered through Kitfox from Grove. Has anyone out there done the retro fit with the model 1. I have some installation questions

Default Re: Kitfox model 1 Grove Gear

dalords,
    Are you installing the Grove gear in the taildragger position or the nosewheel position?
    Steve Wilson
    Huntsville, UT
    Kitfox 85DD
    912A / 3 Blade Taper Tip Warp Drive
    Convertible Nosewheel & Tailwheel
    SkySteve's SPOT Page
    SkySteve's You Tube Videos

tail dragger position. What my question is this: If you order a Model 1 gear though Kitfox from Grove they send you a custom gear leg that is 3/4" thick and a modified model 4 mount bracket to fit the shaved down gear leg. The mount bracket is only 10" long which normally fits between the FWD landing gear fitting and the FWD float fitting on a model 4. The distance between the landing gear fittings on a model 1 is 13" Since the model 1 does not have this fitting it needs to be added. It moves the gear from the center of the door cutout fwd so that the gear is now centered over the fwd door post. this moves you CG for the axle FWD, giving you more stability on the ground. But does it add to the takeoff roll? Meaning more speed and a little longer takeoff roll to get the tail up. Also just wondering if anyone else has ordered the specific model 1 gear recently

Well now, you just absolutely blew me away and went way above my pay grade! I have a model I and have Grove gear. It was installed by my A&P because I am a flyer not a builder. When I bought mine, Grove did not make gear for the model I. I ordered a model III gear, which fit perfectly. We set mine up in the nosegear configuration. My plane had both the front and rear attach points and the attachment parts that came with the Grove gear also fit perfectly.

As to your question about take off roll distance, my take off distance is so short I don't think it would be a noticeable distance if it was longer.

The Grove gear will probably change your CG as it is heavier than the original gear.

I don't know if this will help at all, but here is a picture of when mine was changed:
    Steve Wilson
    Huntsville, UT
    Kitfox 85DD
    912A / 3 Blade Taper Tip Warp Drive
    Convertible Nosewheel & Tailwheel
    SkySteve's SPOT Page
    SkySteve's You Tube Videos