Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch

Thread: Battery location

Default Battery location

Getting to the stage where I am about to start the electrical on my KF 5 build. The manual calls for the battery on the inside of the firewall. The newer models are on the outside and I have seen a KF 5 on you tube with it on the outside. I think I would be able to mount it either way. Looking for thoughts/advice on this. Any pros or cons either way that anyone has run into? Right now I am probably going with an odyssey battery so weight would matter.

Default Re: Battery location

In theory the more weight forward of the CG the more you will be able to carry in the cargo area. YMMV
    My battery (KF6) is located inside the cockpit and one day I will probably relocate it forward and move the voltage regulator inside.
    Dave
    KitFox 6 Taildragger
    912 ULS
    Whirlwind 70” Prop
    Garmin G3x
    All around nice guy

Default Re: Battery location

If you can have it either location I would probably go for the engine side of the firewall. Shorter distance to starter and farther away from you if you have a battery melt down.
    Dustin Dickerson

Building 7ss STI x 2
    Oratex
    29" shock monster
    EP912STI 155hp
    Garmin
    N33TF......FLYING!
    N53TF......FLYING!