Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Changing Airworthiness Certificate

Default Changing Airworthiness Certificate

If a Kitfox series 5-7 is for sale and has been certificated as "Light Sport" with a weight limit of 1320lbs. Can it be recertified by a new owner under factory weight limit of 1550lbs? I am a newbie of course and needing to be informed as much as possible in order to pull the trigger when the right plane comes up for sale. My thought process for needing all 1550lbs. is as follows: Dry weight of plane 850lbs. + 280 (me) + 150 (passenger) + 100 (Baggage) + 20 (Coolant/Oil) + 100 (~4hrs fuel) = 1500lbs. The above weight scenario would be a typical cross country trip with the wife. Thanks in advance! Your knowledge and advise is much appreciated.
    Last edited by SMangini; 04-24-2018 at 08:06 PM.

Default Re: Changing Airworthiness Certificate

Yes, you have to notify the FAA of the change, do phase 1 flight testing to verify the safety of the changes. You can't go the other way though. JImChuk

If you dig around on the forums here, you'll find a few discussions on this. JImChuk has summed it up pretty concisely, but I'll expand just a little bit.

If the airplane is certified as amateur-built, you can increase the gross weight. The advantage is obvious: you'll be able to come in under gross when loaded as you describe. The disadvantage is that the airplane will never again be a Light Sport Aircraft, even if you change the max gross weight back to 1320. The result is that Sport Pilots and other pilots that are flying under the light sport rules would not be able to fly it (legally, anyhow). Some suspect that this may reduce the resale value because you reduce the potential buyer pool. In the current market, I doubt it matters what the gross weight is, but I thought I'd point out the resale as something for you to consider.
    --Brian
    Flying - S7SS

Someone told me that the Faa might Increase the LSA weight to 1550. Anyone else heard that?

Steve there is confusion here - please clarify - you wrote "certificated as "Light Sport" - is it currently an S-LSA, E-LSA or E-AB? Makes a big difference on what you can do.

Also a "Sport Pilot" may legaly fly any aircraft that meets LSA requirements regardless of the certification class (even Std. class aircraft) - it has nothing to with the aircraft certification class, just the aircraft meeting the requirements (when flown).

Greg

Note: when you do a Phase one flight testing and make an aircraft record entry going to 1550 there is no going back.

if the aircraft is certified as SLSA or ELSA no 1550,

David Kelm
    FAA DAR-T,F

7SS 912iS

Quote Originally Posted by Danzer1 View Post
    Also a "Sport Pilot" may legaly fly any aircraft that meets LSA requirements regardless of the certification class (even Std. class aircraft) - it has nothing to with the aircraft certification class, just the aircraft meeting the requirements (when flown).

Greg
    It's true that it has nothing to do with the certification class, but it must have met the LSA requirements continuously since original certification. If it has ever been modified outside of the LSA requirements, it will never again meet the definition of an LSA, even if you switch it back to its original configuration.
    Last edited by aviator79; 04-25-2018 at 04:13 PM.
    --Brian
    Flying - S7SS

It's true that it has nothing to do with the certification class, but it must have met the LSA requirements continuously since original certification. If has ever been modified outside of the LSA requirements, it will never again meet the definition of an LSA, even if you switch it back to its original configuration.
    Yes but the question was - can the weight be changed, not who can fly it. To clarify:

As David stated - if S-LSA or E-LSA it can't be changed to 1550. If it is E-AB already or recertificated as E-AB and just wanting to change the weight - different story. It can possibly be done but can't go back to LSA (either S-LSA or E-LSA) and even if re-grossed to back down to 1320 later as an E-AB, it could not be flown by a sport pilot.

Let me see if I got this straight. If the Kitfox 5-7 was originally certificated/registered as S-LSA or E-LSA with a MGTOW of 1320lbs., then it can never be re-registered as E-AB, go through phase 1 testing and certified at 1550? However, if it was originally certificated/registered as E-AB and phase one tested at 1320, then it may be phase one tested again to meet factory certified 1550 MGTOW but now it can never be reversed. Please forgive me if I am causing confusion by using the words certified and registered incorrectly.

Quote Originally Posted by SMangini View Post
    Let me see if I got this straight. If the Kitfox 5-7 was originally certificated/registered as S-LSA or E-LSA with a MGTOW of 1320lbs., then it can never be re-registered as E-AB, go through phase 1 testing and certified at 1550? However, if it was originally certificated/registered as E-AB and phase one tested at 1320, then it may be phase one tested again to meet factory certified 1550 MGTOW but now it can never be reversed. Please forgive me if I am causing confusion by using the words certified and registered incorrectly.
    You've got it. If you want to get technical, you would be allowed to reduce the weight back to 1320, but there is no reason you'd want to because it wouldn't make it an LSA again.
    --Brian
    Flying - S7SS