Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Hopeful Kitfox Owner

Default Hopeful Kitfox Owner

Hey all,

My name is Matt Staley, I'm in southwest Ohio (Xenia) and recently began my venture to obtaining my PPL. I'm still in the early phases of working on my license however owning my own plane has already been on my mind! I'll be honest in saying that Kitfox was brought to my attention by watching some of Trent Palmer's videos, which I think are excellent in marketing the capability of the Kitfox. I had also looked at the Rans S20 Raven and S21 Outbound before landing here.

At this point I'm just looking for some experience from members on a realistic and cost effective approach to owning my own aircraft. I've looked on Barnstormers and similar online classifieds for Kitfox IV - V's and the inventory is extremely low, if not absent. The idea of building is appealing to me but the cost seems very hazy. I know that the kit costs are clearly laid out online, but what does a "real" build number look like by time you hit the runway for the first time? I had been looking at the 7 STI to have similar capabilities to Trent's Freedom Fox with a Rotax 912. Just looking for any input on building vs. buying, and the realistic cost of both! Thanks!

Default Re: Hopeful Kitfox Owner

I’m about $60,000USD in on mine. I got a great deal on a used engine and prop or else I would be closer to $85k. My instruments are also used.
    ------------------
    Josh Esser
    Flying SS7
    Rotax 914iS
    AirMaster Prop

Edmonton, AB, CWL3

Thanks for the reply! That's really the basis of why I put this out there...most IV and V's I have seen online are in the mid to upper 50k range and I know I would like to make changes to them (i.e. more expense).

I think Josh's numbers are right on.
    Eddie

At this point I'm just looking for some experience from members on a realistic and cost effective approach to owning my own aircraft.
    While the Kitfox market is tight right now (Thanks Trent Palmer and Kyle Franklin), the answer to this question as you've stated it is to buy a used experimental.

The cost to build seems hazy because it is. I would guess that Josh's $85 number is close to the median for what someone spends. That would include a bunch of the popular options, but may not include all the nickels and dimes spent on small tools and consumables. If you're patient, and ready to make a move on a sale quickly when the right plane comes along, you could spend a lot less than that on a nice IV, and could even score a nice 5, 6, or 7 for that price or less. So you really won't save much money by building. You build because you want to build. You buy because you want to own.
    --Brian
    Flying - S7SS

That's honestly where my mind was at but you summed it up perfect. I'll be patient as I continue to learn on my aeroclub planes and keep my eyes peeled for a nice used aircraft. I'm a FF/Paramedic and my wife is an ER nurse, so while we don't do too bad on our income, $85,000 would be the definite high end of the budget for an aircraft. Thanks!

In figuring costs, don't forget one of the big long term advantages to building is that you become the repairman for that airplane and can do and sign off any repair or annual condition inspection. This can save thousands over the years to come.
    Jim Ott
    Portland, OR
    Kitfox SS7 flying
    Rotax 912ULS

You don't need the repairman's cert to do repairs on an experimental, but it will allow you to do the conditional inspection on the particular aircraft.

That's right, I should have clarified that.
    Jim Ott
    Portland, OR
    Kitfox SS7 flying
    Rotax 912ULS

while we are on this topic, Does "work on" also include making major modifications like engine or wing changes?
    Eddie