Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rotec R2800 oil drain problem.

Angry Rotec R2800 oil drain problem.

I've got a Rotec R2800 radial on a Kitfox IV with an oil leak problem. When my engine is sitting, it drains a considerable amount of oil out of the exhaust stacks and intake drains. We think the oil is gravity feeding into the engine from the oil tank. It is passing through the oil pump, through the oil filter and into the engine case. The scavenge tank is filling up and overflowing into the bottom cylinders.

We are loseing almost a quart of oil a week and are not sure what to do. One idea is placing a shutoff valve in the oil line after the tank. This obviosly poses some serious problems if not turned on before each flight.

I know there are a few Kitfoxes flying with Rotec's. Is anyone having the same problem? Has anyone else solved the problem? Any help would be appreciated. At $8.50 a quart, it is becoming very costly to operate this cool engine.

Thanks
    Matt

Default Re: Rotec R2800 oil drain problem.

Matt,
    I've got an R2800 on my Kitfox and here is a suggestion. Do you have the electric scavange pump option to drain the oil out of the accumulator tank back to your main tank? I put that on mine and it does help. Here is the procedure I use. Before shutting the engine down, scavange the oil by running the engine up to about 1800 RPM for a minute or two. Then after about 20 or 30 minutes after shut down, run that electric scavange pump until it cavitates. You will be able to hear the motor pitch change. This drives the oil out of the accumulator and back to your main tank. The cavitation tells you the accumulator is empty... at least for now and give the residual oil that is still gravity feeding out of the cylinder heads a place to go in the accumulator. Occassionaly when I am at the hangar even though I am not going to fly I'll run the electric pump. This just insures the accumaltor is empty. Another thing I do is rotate the prop by hand on occassion, being mindful that the ignition switches are off and of the evils of hydraulic lock.
    With an open position of one of the lower exhaust valves and a full oil accumulator tank you will likely see oil passing out of the exhaust stack while static. Just remember to keep that acumulator empty! It is not likely that the oil is passing from your main tank thru the oil pump and filter.
    This procedure should eliminate most major oil losses, however you will almost certainly see some oil come out the exhaust when you rotate the engine. This is normal for a radial. In an effort to keep the floor clean I use drain tubes from the intake ports to a plastic oil bottle and for the oil that does come out of the exhaust I have some plastic water bottles with the top cut off. I just slip these over the exhaust stacks.
    Since I started to catch my oil instead of letting it drain into a pan on the floor, I was shocked also to see how much oil was passing. However I was able to do these things and manage the amount of oil loss. You will not eliminate all of it, but you will find what works for you to reduce it. All radials pass oil, even while static. Something about marking their territory I hear! Using these procedures will also give you a more accurate account of the amount of oil on board at preflight.
    Nice looking airplane by the way. Flown it yet? Got to be getting close! Dying to hear all about it.
    Joe

Thanks for the info. We do not have a aux. scavenge pump but that sounds like a good idea. We are getting close to flying. Just got the new prop from Rotec this week and should be up in the air in a week or so. I will let you know when we get it up in the air.

Matt

Matt,
    I am seeing oil draining from the exhaust also. I simply turn the engine using the starter so as to lubricate the engine while building. I am still about a year from flying. I use the electric scavange pump after turning the engine and still see a small amount of oil...like Joe said, "it's a radial". Let me know if you solve this.
    Don

I myself have a few hundred hours (6 years) on my own Rotec R2800 radial and it’s wonderful! When hangered I have catch bottles under the exhaust pipes, the oil is clean when it comes out of the pipes so I just poor it straight back into the oil tank via a strainer for re use, no problems. You know the Rotax 912 also has a separate oil tank, and will siphon oil just as easy if the remote oil tank is mounted higher than the crank shaft c/l. So it’s not just radials!

Also I chose not to fit the Rotec clean kit (electric after run oil scavenge pump) as I like the simplicity of my set up. If the oil drain back became an issue for me, which after 5 years it has not been, I would fit an inline oil shut off valve which would have a micro switch that cut out the starter.

The only compliant I have of the Rotec radial is really sore face muscles from all the smiling.
    Last edited by paulc; 02-18-2009 at 06:01 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by 13318 View Post
    I've got a Rotec R2800 radial on a Kitfox IV with an oil leak problem. When my engine is sitting, it drains a considerable amount of oil out of the exhaust stacks and intake drains.
    That's not an oil leak problem, that's simply your engine being a radial

Hey Paul,
    I recently removed my engine from the fuselage for fabric and paint....I'm getting there little by little.

Is it possible after shutdown to clock the engine so the open exhaust valve is the #1 cylinder? Would that prevent oil from leaking out the exhaust pipes?

Regards, Don

Smile Re: Rotec R2800 oil drain problem.

Don thats going to be pretty hard to do seeing as the prop is not directly connected to the crank, its a geared engine. It really matters not what valves if any are open on shut down as I catch the oil from both the intake and exhausts. This is the only place a radial will bleed oil. The electric scavenge pump (i dont have) reduces the amount of oil trapped in the engine after shut down and thus the amount of oil dribble.
    Embrace the oil! Like hand propping, before the smokey start up, its all part of the radial deal and Rotec give give this feature as standard at no extra charge!

Smile Re: Rotec R2800 oil drain problem.

Paul, Regarding the "oil embracing" aspect of flying a radial.....sometimes my Lycoming starts with a "chug, chug, chug" with the extra smoke.
    It is cool
    Don

Matt,
    Rotec have a new oil filter that directly replaces the old type, it stops the oil from the oil tank draining into the crankcase as it has an anti siphon valve built inside, I tested it and it works a treat. Too easy.