Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: VFR panel ideas ??

Default Re: VFR panel ideas ??

I have a 1" overhang and a Dynon glass panel. Have never noticed an issue with not enough shading.
    Jim Ott
    Portland, OR
    Kitfox SS7 flying
    Rotax 912ULS

My glare shield was trimmed flush to the panel, but I wanted an overhang. I used the same carpet as the rest of my interior, so I just cut it long and folded it over on itself to make the overhang.

It's flexible, yet rigid enough to hold its shape. About a 2" overhang. Seeing my Garmin GPS or the Dynon D180 has not been an issue.
    Av8r3400
    Kitfox Model IV
    The Mangy Fox
    912UL 105hp Zipper
    YouTube Videos

I don't have any overhang. When the sun is overhead I put an auto windshield shade above my head to block out extra light. I am using one piece of the jumbo windshield covers from Walmart.
    Phil Nelson
    A&P-IA, Maintenance Instructor
    KF 5 Outback, Cont. IO-240
    Flying since 2016

Finishing the glareshield, decided on a flat gray lacquer finish on the fiberglass with a 1" overhang. The fiberglass edge has some potential for cuts and scrapes so decided to guard the lip by slitting a piece of vacuum hose and slipped that over the edge. Also installed the intensity adjustable red LED tape from Steinair behind the tube. (FYI The white interior light is on a separate switch.)

The lip protrusion with the tube is about 1 1/4" and have never had an issue with glare.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Dave S
    Kitfox 7 Trigear (Flying since 2009)
    912ULS Warp Drive

St Paul, MN

Here is my panel..... Dynon SkyView, and a Garmin 696. Full 2020 ADSB in and out compliant, clean panel, and both have remote battery back up.
    -Mike Kraus
    RV-4 built and sold :-(
    RV-10 built and flying
    KitFox SS7 built and flying and now on amphib floats!

Quote Originally Posted by N213RV View Post
    Here is my panel..... Dynon SkyView, and a Garmin 696. Full 2020 ADSB in and out compliant, clean panel, and both have remote battery back up.
    Now that's beautiful!
    SS7 O-200 Whirlwind

Yep, that is pretty. I just love those radios. The only reason I bought Garmin was to keep it all uniform. Those were what I really would have liked.
    Eddie

Well, here is what I ended up doing. About 1-1/4" overhang. McMaster Carr edge trim. Six vent holes w/screens to let hot air out from behind panel. Black oxide stainless screws and washers (not screwed down in photo).
    Paper labels are place holding until I receive the final placards.
    - Gary
    S7 SuperSport Tri-gear
    w/Rotax 912, Oratex, Dynon

Thanks for the replies.........in the last few weeks, I've learned a lot about EFIS's. So instead of know practically nothing about them a few weeks ago...........I know know very little LOL I've looked at the Dynon, GRT, and MGL...........Garmin appears to be out of my price range, my price range is cheap. From what I've seen, it looks like GRT has the most for the dollar, and appears they're a good company.
    I've also looked at just doing steam gauges. Even without gyro's, By the time I figure in flight instruments and engine instruments, I can install a GRT SX EFIS and their engine monitor with GPS for the same price...........it's actually cheaper and I get more plus GPS. Would love to hear pros and cons on GRT or anything I've said.
    Thanks
    Brian

When I was setting my plan, the GRT was in the running. To do their flight and engine instrument, it required the installation of their EIS box as well as the flight instrument box. I asked the rep at OSH if both were needed, because the flight box also displays the engine info, I was told yes. The EIS box drives the other box.

I was told I could just bury the EIS box behind the panel and not display it. I didn't like that idea for the room it took as well as the wiring complexity. Not to mention buying an EIS box, then hiding it.

The Dynon was all in one box and seemed easier to install/wire.
    Av8r3400
    Kitfox Model IV
    The Mangy Fox
    912UL 105hp Zipper
    YouTube Videos