Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch

Thread: Model 3 582 Tachometer Stopped Working

Default Model 3 582 Tachometer Stopped Working

Installed a new Blue Head, half way through the standard break-in the tachometer stopped showing the rpm. Tach is about 24 to 25 years old (steam). Since the engine is brand new (crate), I'm guessing it can only be 1) one of my wiring connections failed (fuse is still fine), or 2) tach is gone. Any other thoughts and how I might test the tach itself?

Thank you,
    Steve

Default Re: Model 3 582 Tachometer Stopped Working

Not a direct answer to your question, but many people have had very inaccurate readings with the round tacks for rotax 2 strokes. A tiny tack is very accurate, and will give you an hour meter at the same time. JImChuk

X2 on the Tiny Tach. Great little unit for the Rotax. Super accurate digital diplay. Easy to set up. Inexpensive and the battery lasts for a long time.
    Only drawbacks are that it is not backlit so it can be hard to see in very dim light, and mounting it can be a challenge.

Luckily the mounting part has been made easy.

Peter

I highly highly recommend replacing the steam gauges with a digital EIS. The tachs are always off, those EGT needles are impossible to get consistently accurate readings off (changes dramatically based on your perspective from seating position etc)

Since moving to one flying my 582 powered Model 4 has been way less stressful and easier to manage temps, load, OAT, rpm, hobbs etc. These are the only pics I can find that have it included but it's great. I loved the simplicity of the steam gauges but I couldn't argue against the safety aspect of more info displayed clearly. The one I have is by Wapsi Aero and I could not be more pleased with it. I plan on doing a review for the group one of these days but until then I just want to rate it and Kyle (the guy who made it) a 11/10. You can reach him at kyle@wapsiaero.com if interested!

Thank you all for your recommendations for Tiny Tach and the other. I'll look into them.

Steve