Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678

Thread: Paper chart vs iPad for VFR

Default Re: Paper chart vs iPad for VFR

I have been using an IPAD 2 with Garmin Pilot for awhile now and love it. The only problem is the IPAD is just too big for the kitfox. Just yesterday I bought a NEXUS 7 and loaded the Garmin Pilot program on it. I am sure that this will cure my problem.

I also loaded the Garmin program onto my phone (no extra charge for a second device), so if the tablet takes a dump, I have a back up. I have tried using the phone and it works the same as the tablet, except these old eyes have a hard time with it, but using readers and squinting will get me back home.

I use a Google Nexus 7 with iFly. I tried Garmin and Avare but liked the iFly app better. Not a lot of room in a Kitfox II so I like it better than paper. I used sectionals and Jepps for years for VFR and IFR. Now I am strictly day VFR

I hate trying to fold a maps in flight. Trying to fold is the key statement. I don't mind using them I just hate folding them. I usually throw them in the back of the plane, when done. I've started using screen shots off of the computer put it in Power point draw my route, and I can throw the pages in the back as complete. I guess it like the going to the store, and they "paper or plastic". As my father would say "everyone got their own stupid opinion", and that's my stupid opinion.

It's good to have thought of my Dad he passed a few years ago. That was an edited version of his saying, to keep it decent. He had a way with sayings.
    Paul Zimmermann
    LSRM-A
    Garland, Texas