Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Paper chart vs iPad for VFR

Default Paper chart vs iPad for VFR

The engine is out waiting to go in for overhaul, so I'm dreaming about flying again. I'm a private pilot but not current. Lots of things have changed over the years. I don't plan any great journeys, just local flights and $100 Burgers. What would be better, my old school paper charts or cough up some $$ for one of the new electronic charts services for my new iPad? From what I understand, the new electronic charts show current weather as well as flight planning? Would an instructor expect me to have paper or an iPad?

Default Re: Paper chart vs iPad for VFR

I fly IFR and VFR with Foreflight on the iPad and would not do it any other way. Awesome for flight planning. ALL the charts in the country for 70$ a year. Airport info.

Get an iPad with the 3G or 4G cellular chip. I think they call it wifi plus 4g. You do not have to activate cell service but only the ones with the cellular capability have built in GPS.

Weather on the iPad in the air requires a separate ads-b receiver. I have not played with this yet but some have and swear by it. Weather on the ground is shown on your sectional and is received via wifi or cell service data plan.

I am a huge fan.
    Maxwell Duke

Kitfox S6 IO-240 Built it (Flying since 2003)
    Maule M7-235C Sold it (liked it though)
    RV-10 IO-540 Bought it
    Zenith CH-750 Built with 7 friends (DAR Vic Syracuse)

Cupar, SK, Canada CLC4 Loon Creek Airfield

Hi,
    I went to the ipad with foreflight last fall, no more trying to unfold a map in the cockpit!
    Flight planning is easy and all info in one place.

You might need to do some navigation plotting on a paper map for flight tests and such, you will need to check with your flight training facility.
    Kevin,

Kitfox Outback
    912 ULS
    Airmaster AP332CTFH-WWR70W
    Summit Aircraft Wheel Skis
    C-FOXW

I vote for an IPad Mini with Foreflight. Last 1000 mile trip to Sun N Fun I took WAC charts, a bunch of Sectionals & a few Terminal charts. I don't remember opening any of the paper charts. For redundancy I have Foreflight on my IPhone too and a Garmin 196. I think paperless is also all that is required.

Skot
    Kitfox Vixen 912 ULS
    N24V at C29

I love my iPad i bought it strictly for the ForeFlight app makes flying more enjoyable, and you can get your charts in a quick evening download.
    Paul Zimmermann
    LSRM-A
    Garland, Texas

Does anyone use Garmin Pilot Pro instead of Foreflight? I did a 30 day trail and found it as good or better that Foreflight. The price is pretty much the same.
    Phil Nelson
    A&P-IA, Maintenance Instructor
    KF 5 Outback, Cont. IO-240
    Flying since 2016

I have both paper and a tablet with the anywhere map app. when you least expect it your electronic gizmo will fail and with no backup . The line drawn on your paper sectional will never fail. Bruce N199CL

Jim,

Garmin should be an excellent choice as well. I tried the download trial and liked it but so many (including a lot of flight instructors) are using Foreflight, I went with what I look at as the mainstream App,(Foreflight). Garmin should have good support.

Skot
    Kitfox Vixen 912 ULS
    N24V at C29

At the outset, I am a frugal (cheap) individual.

As an alternative to iAnything devices, there is an Android application that has me blown away. It is Avare and is installed on 3 devices I own. I paid less than $200 for each of these devices and Avare runs on them all.
    1. A LG2 mobile phone
    2. A 8" Samsung Tab8
    3. A 10" Acer Iconia A3

Avare is a totally free application and updates are free. Chart downloads are free. If you run android devices I suggest you try it and see if it works for you. Did I say it is FREE? It has been developed and is very actively maintained by experienced, active pilots. Many are commercial certificated. There is a forum where users may offer suggestions, request changes/additions and report any anomalies. I am a student at this time and am not intending to use it during this phase. This application and the hardware it runs on are NOT certified. I do think it is an excellent backup to paper in the cockpit. ADS-B in is also supported

FWIW
    Lou
    KitFox II

Great discussion. I have heard good things about Foreflight from many sources. My question is "what size iPad?" I'm thinking of the small one (I think 7"). Is that large enough or should a guy really for with the full size?
    Steve Wilson
    Huntsville, UT
    Kitfox 85DD
    912A / 3 Blade Taper Tip Warp Drive
    Convertible Nosewheel & Tailwheel
    SkySteve's SPOT Page
    SkySteve's You Tube Videos