Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 87 of 87 FirstFirst ... 37778384858687

Thread: Oz build SS7

Default Some fun at our local Airfield.

I have been a little slack lately with my posts - too busy enjoying VMB and helping to organise a little flyin here last Saturday. It was great to have a group of Kitfox amongst the 40 + aircraft that attended. We had posters on this site - Jono, Metalman(Matt), Plansmakeer (Tom), Aus S7 Build (Ben) all fly in as well as a few other Kitfox and Skyfox that I was not aware of. I was a bit disappointed than none of you Yanks made the effort to attend though.......!

I have done the 25 hr inspections and all turned out well. The only little issues have been with the Rotax 912is Sport - both issues were with indicator lights (one Fuel Pump and the other Lane B... ie. computer B in 912is speak). After speaking with the Rotax dealer both were resolved by reseating little electrical plugs on the fuel pump and manifold sensors respectively. I have lodged reports on these to Rotax but must admit that I am a little surprised that the quality of these fittings would have caused an issue. All resolved now though ( I think).

So, after a great weekend, it's time to start enjoying VMB although the weather is getting pretty warm here now. Early morning flying is the go!

cheers

ross
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Ross
    Mt Beauty, Vic
    OZ
    Sold to Richard and Scott Taubman in OZ, 2019. Kitfox SS7,Rotax 912is Sport, Airmaster CSP 75" blades.
    Landcruiser and Cub off road camper (doesn't get any kudos on this forum!)

Default Re: Oz build SS7

Great to finally see the super seven up close, looks great Ross! The departure up the valley was a lot nicer than my arrival, crossing the hill to end up nearly 5000ft above the field was a new one to me , interesting to loose all that in a nice little valley !
    Met up with Jono at Benalla on the way home and had a good chat , managed to snag a slight tailwind both ways ,so I guess I'll never get another one for a few years now :-).
    Great effort Ross ,look forward to see you wear it out now!

Default Last Post in this Thread!

Today was a good day! Having finished the Phase 1 Test flying program and submitting the results, I have been granted the amended Certificate of Airworthiness that allows me to carry passengers and range far and wide!! Therefore, I think that this thread, 'OZ Build SS7', has run it's course and it is a good time to retire it!

Thanks to all of you who have encouraged me and provided the invaluable advice along the way - It would have been a very journey without your input. I'm happy to report that the tests produced results that pretty much match expectations in all aspects of flight. As you will now, VH-RMQ is fitted with 26" tyres, powered by a 912is Sport and fitted with an Airmaster CS, 75" Super STOL prop. I'm getting off in about 70 m and cruising at 100-104kts when running at 5000rpm and 24 "MAP. And burning about 14l/hr. John Mc and others suggest running it at 5250-5300rpm and when I have tried that I get another couple of Kts. The learning curve continues and I am trying all types of settings and twigging little things and ironing out little bugs in the avionics. But enjoying it heaps! Gaye loves it too and that certainly helps!

So it is now time to go fly, do some adventuring and post on threads like 'Where I fly'! Although it is summer here and the temps are 35-40'c this week so it means getting up early to avoid all the bumps! Looking forward to posting some adventures and once again, a huge THANKYOU to all of you for your support and interest. (Over to you Ben to keep the OZ build posts happening!)

cheers

Ross
    Ross
    Mt Beauty, Vic
    OZ
    Sold to Richard and Scott Taubman in OZ, 2019. Kitfox SS7,Rotax 912is Sport, Airmaster CSP 75" blades.

Ross, I have found your thread an enjoyable read as I plug along with my build. Look forward to your flying posts (nice strip you fly out of).
    Had 11 inches of snow here yesterday with a little more expected tomorrow.
    - Gary
    S7 SuperSport Tri-gear
    w/Rotax 912, Oratex, Dynon

Your thread has been one of my favorites to look forward to.

Just curious: did you have to do any wing twist adjustment or rudder trim during your test flying, or were you one of the few who flew with no heavy wing and ball perfectly centered (hands off after trimming) right out of the chute?
    Jim Ott
    Portland, OR
    Kitfox SS7 flying
    Rotax 912ULS

I did try to close this thread!!!! ... but thanks for the comments guys and what a contrast Gary from here to there! Burrrrrr....

No Jim - no such luck. It flies left wing down with just me in it but put Gayle in the passenger seat - all 50kg of her and it is pretty level - an 80kg guy makes it fly level. Still need a little bit of right rudder though in cruise - just a fraction more than just resting the right leg on the peddle - I will get a few more hours up before making rigging adjustments or adding trim tabs.

But very happy with it all Jim. I have a couple of little annoying things with the engine (912is sport) both connections - one to the fuel pump and another at aMP sensor - which result in intermittent functioning of one pump occasionally and and a warning light coming on with the MP. Surprisingly, they are both Rotax wiring - not mine! I am a little disappointed in that but working with them to overcome it.

cheers for now - Mum's 93 yo B'day today so much go and attend!!

ross
    Ross
    Mt Beauty, Vic
    OZ