Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fuel tank line seep leak

Default Fuel tank line seep leak

I have one fuel tank line that seeps a little fuel at the point where the fuel tank line (copper/brass?) attaches to the plastic header tank fuel line. I've tried multiple clamping techniques but in time the seep always wins. Question: Should I try (1) swaging the fuel tank line to expand it; (2) add a ferrul to the fuel tank line with clamps on both sides; or (3) some other technique that somebody smart about these things already knows will work?
    Steve Wilson
    Huntsville, UT
    Kitfox 85DD
    912A / 3 Blade Taper Tip Warp Drive
    Convertible Nosewheel & Tailwheel
    SkySteve's SPOT Page
    SkySteve's You Tube Videos

Default Re: Fuel tank line seep leak

Hi Steve,

I am a little unclear about the details....is this leak at the fuel tank end or at the header tank end of the hose? Got a photo?

FYI - connections on both ends of the hose should go over barb fittings which seal up pretty good and hold with light clamp pressure.

If a straight hose/tube go together, it can be difficult to make these behave.

What kind of clamp are you using? the conventional screw clamps, particularily the small ones, can leave an uneven pressure on the hose, an auto fuel injection clamp with a smooth contact surface all the way around can help sometimes.

Might check on the condition of the inside of the hose.

Sincerely,

Dave S
    KF7 Trigear
    912ULS Warp
    St Paul MN

Dave,
    No photos right now. I can get one on Monday. The location is at the wing fuel tank end. My fuel tank has a smooth copper (I think) 6" long line coming out of it. The clear plastic fuel line is clamped over that with a regular screw type clamp. This flue line then runs downward to the header tank. The problem area is where the plastic line goes over the smooth copper line coming out of the wing fuel tank.
    Steve Wilson
    Huntsville, UT
    Kitfox 85DD
    SkySteve's SPOT Page

Steve,

OK, That makes sense now. I think the construction of using a smooth copper tube slipped inside the hose with a screw clamp might be the source of problem....this is a non-standard construction for a fuel line connection.

Don't know what your fitting going into the wing tank looks like, but, I believe most had a finger strainer screwed into the wing tank with a right angle fitting screwed into the finger strainer and the right angle terminating in a barb fitting.

I have attached a photo which shows the fittings I am talking about. BTW - the access panel on the bottom of the wing at the fitting is non-standard - I just wanted to be able to get at the fitting if I needed to.

There are tools to put those little bumps on a metal line like you have on a fuel hose fitting on a car, but I think they are pretty expensive. That might work if you can get your hands on one cheaply. A compression fitting ring would probably just leak between the ring and the copper tubing...they will seal up only with using the complete compression fitting.

I think you have several ways to go, but I think the straight slip joint will continue to do what it is already doing.

Good luck, let us know how it gets solved.

Sincerely,

Dave S
    KF7 Trigear
    912ULS Warp
    St Paul, MN
    Attached Images Attached Images

Sounds like my header tank (and many others) I fight battles with fuel smell
    constantly, I have pretty much concluded that the header is simply porous
    enough that fuel migrates right through it. I don't get stains (I run 100LL)
    I don't get drips, but I always have odor. Year after year I go through
    it at annual and occasionally find a weepy fitting (you guessed it) at the
    header which I fix (again). I think the only real solution is to scrap the
    plastic header and go to the aluminum one.

Regards,
    Jeff Hays
    Series 5, IO-240B

Quote Originally Posted by SkySteve View Post
    I have one fuel tank line that seeps a little fuel at the point where the fuel tank line (copper/brass?) attaches to the plastic header tank fuel line. I've tried multiple clamping techniques but in time the seep always wins. Question: Should I try (1) swaging the fuel tank line to expand it; (2) add a ferrul to the fuel tank line with clamps on both sides; or (3) some other technique that somebody smart about these things already knows will work?

Dave, I like yours and it's probably a result of those like Jeff and I have. Jeff, my problem is not at the header tank. It is at the exit of the wing tank. I'll go to the Aviation Department at Home Depot and see if they have some assorent of fittings that might work. If there are any additional ideas out there I would love to hear them. Thanks so much for your responses.
    Steve Wilson
    Huntsville, UT
    Kitfox 85DD
    SkySteve's SPOT Page

Jeff,

When I got my kit it was before John Mcbean had the company.....it came with a plastic tank that turned out to be defective.....didn't leak but it smelled up the cockpit.....a little investigation revealed a number of bubbles in the plastic which resulted in spots where there was only a couple thousands of an inch of plastic separating the cockpit from the fuel.

I got one of the first aluminum tanks that John made up after he got the company and I couldn't be happier with it....no stink....no leaks...the only way to fly in my opinion.

I think some people have had good luck with the plastic tanks but I did not and never liked the idea.

Another way fuel odor can get in the cockpit is through the fuel hose if a person has the old style auto fuel hose. The new fuel injection hose is great but the other will permeate gas fumes.

Take care,

Dave S
    KF7 Trigear
    912ULS Warp
    St Paul, MN

Steve,
    I think the easiest way to fix your problem without redesigning the whole system is to pick up one of the compression fitting rings at HD and sweat solder it near the end of your copper tube. This will create a bead that will expand the plastic line a bit and help prevent the leak. Or you might try one of the small spring clamps (vent line fitting in pic 3). If you might want to try one of those and can't find them locally, send a PM with an address and I will send you one - I bought some online. Tell me the ID of the tubing.

On my first Model IV, I had an aluminum header tank and it worked fine, though it was mounted behind the baggage because that is what they did then. This time, I am using the poly tank and am in the process of solving the common problem as a matter of accepting a challenge. A couple of pics will show what the progression has been.

The first image shows what has been the tank for the past four months with no leaking. It consists of the typical brass bushing, but machined to accept an O-ring near the neck. The problem with this is only a perceived one as the machining left very little metal between the bottom of the O-ring seat and the inner diameter of the fitting. I was nervous about the possibility of the whole thing just popping off some day.

The second image shows what the solution was. I was able to find 5/16" barb fittings with 1/8" pipe threads. This gave a lot of material between the O-ring seat and internal diameter of the new bushing. I also made some small aluminum collars that would help secure the O-ring as they have a tendency to squeeze out of the minimlal seat on the original.

The third image shows the new units in place with the vent line still showing the O-ring in a simple machined slot on the original fitting.

Fuel smell. I removed the seat pan because I was still getting a bit of fuel smell after the first fix and wanted th check out. There was absolutely no leaking at the fittings - the dry tissue test. And as Dave suggested, the odor comes from the fuel line itself. I don't know how motivated I am to change out those lines.
    Lowell
    Attached Images Attached Images

Lowell,
    I think you are right about sweat soldering a compression ring on the wing tank fuel exit copper line, HOWEVER, I'm afraid if I introduced a MAPP torch to that area I would probably hear my very last CaBoom while I blew myself up. Do you think I can get enough heat out of a solder gun to sweat seal the compression ring to the copper fuel line? And do you think there will not be enough heat to create a safety hazard?
    Steve Wilson
    Huntsville, UT
    Kitfox 85DD
    SkySteve's SPOT Page

Unless you can fairly easily remove that length of copper, I think, like you, that heat near the fuel tank would not be a real good idea.

I might suggest another idea. The Lancair I helped with has a wet wing. The carbon fiber skins were vacuum bagged on the molds to the extent you could blow air through them, or at least when you bonded them together with Hysol, you would see that the glue would penetrate through the skins and form beads of the Hysol on the outer surface over ribs, etc.

The solution fuel wise was to paint all internal, except bonding, surfaces with a fuel tank sealant. This was done before closing the wing. That meant that after closing the top and bottom skins, there would be a bead of expressed Hysol at the joint on inner and outer surfaces of the joint. The inner bead, constantly bathed in fuel.

I think I would be comfortable bonding the compression fitting ring with Hysol. Bond the ring and clean the excess. I suspect that the minimal amount left between ring and tube, even if it slowly dissolved would not harm the carburetor or engine and if it ever did dissolve, it would most likely only result in the slow leak you are currently seeing.
    Lowell