Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Zero Lift angle?

Default Zero Lift angle?

I'm installing Advanced flight systems AOA air ports in my Super Sport wing. I am wondering if anyone knows the zero lift angle of the wing relative to the cord line? The differential air pressure ports get installed at a distance from the leading edge of the wing where the zero lift line intersects the mean distance between the top and bottom surface of the wing.
    Aoa Ref pic.jpg

More information on the AOA system is available at this link. See the power point presentation.
    http://www.advanced-flight-systems.c...oasupport.html

Thanks for any input.

Scott

Default Re: Zero Lift angle?

Looks like the zero lift line didn't show up the the attached picture. It goes from the trailing edge through the circled 6 at the leading edge of the wing.

Aren't AOA meters usually calibrated through flight testing?

The meters that I have seen installed used a level forward pitot tube along with a 45 degree down angle AOA tube. Then tweaking adjustments of the down tube were made during flight testing.
    Av8r3400
    Kitfox Model IV
    The Mangy Fox
    912UL 105hp Zipper
    YouTube Videos

Av8r3400,

Advanced AOA system uses differential pressure ports on the top and bottom of the wing. This way the lift the wing is producing is actually the measurment for the AOA system. This system is supposed to give better AOA indications than the Pitot systems out there. I am looking for the Zero Lift angle in order to locate the pressure ports. Every wing design has it's own Zero lift angle where the wing produces no lift or drag.

Thanks for any help.

Scott

I doubt you will be able to find the answer here or at the factory. It is a term that has appeared just once in the almost 20 years I have been involved with Kitfox - first kit delivery 3/93. The term appeared earlier today

After reading your initial question, I went online and checked your unit and one I bought about 7 years ago - still uninstalled. I also looked at some user comments. Then your comment about the claims of better AOA indications made me think of how sensitive our control inputs are and how close to actual stall we will be willing to fly. Also LED readouts are only as sensitive as the steps between the light bars. My guess is that what you are looking for are base line measurements to determine approximate best location of the ports. If they were positioned exactly right, you would have no need for the calibration steps on the later pages of the install manual. I suspect you will position the ports the best you can and then use the calibration steps to fine tune the panel readout. And then, if you are like the guys that posted comments on some of the other units, fly with the light at least a couple of steps above stall.
    Lowell
    Last edited by HighWing; 02-07-2013 at 03:42 PM.

The kitfox IV and later airfoils seem to be a Riblette GA30U-612, if that helps. I get very confused trying to understand the effect that flapperons have on that airfoil.
    Tom Jones
    Classic 4 builder

Thanks for the info guys. Tom I'll see if I can find some information on Riblette GA30U-612.

Scott

Scott,
    I'm sitting here waiting on Partain to show up and thought I'd do some internet searching for you. Obviously I can not speak to it's the accuracy but it should be be easy to lay out with a smart level.

More info on the 4412 - Ribblet GA30U-612

the angle of zero lift = -4.13 deg

ideal angle of attack = 0.48 deg

Moment coefficient Cm0/4 = -0.106

Here is the link to the source as well.
    http://groups.yahoo.com/group/kitfoxlist/message/39394

kebo

Good find Kebo! Thanks for using your spare time wisely. Glad to year your delivery will be soon! That was a fun day for me. 4 months later & I'm ready to cover.

Thanks

Scott

Scott,
    How did the AOA sensors turn out? How about a couple of pictures? I'm a long way from having to make a decision concerning my panel but I'd like to see your set-up.
    Thanks
    Kebo