Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch

Thread: Mod III/IV seat pan

Default Mod III/IV seat pan

Does anyone know with certainty if the Mod III and Mod IV seat pan are interchangeable? Are they close and useable if modified? Is there absolutely no way to swap them?

Thanks for any input.

Default Re: Mod III/IV seat pan

Model 2,3,4 all 39.5 inches at the shoulder level where the upper seat pan hangs from tubing.

So they should all be the same width at the shoulders, cool. How about at the knees? Is the distance from the tube at the shoulders to the tube under the knees the same?

I am trying to figure out if the pan out of a IV is going to fit into my III before I go shipping parts all over the country.

If you want, I can measure my Kitfox 4 fusaloge for you. Let me know exactly what dimentions you want taken, and I'll get them for you. Take care, Jim Chuk

I would say if you could measure the length of the tube behind the shoulders, the tube below the knees, and the distance between the two I can compare it to mine. Thanks.

Here are the dimentions from my Kitfox 4 Classic. It was a bit dark where the plane was sitting, so I pinched the tape and walked out into the light where I could read the tape, so they might be off by 1/4" but I'm sure they are no more than that. Cross tube at the shoulders, outside to outside was 39 1/2" crosstube at the knees outside to outside is 34 1/2". Outside to outside of those tubes (what the seat rests on) was 29 1/4". Hope this helps and if my explanation was unclear, give a holler! Take care, Jim Chuk

PS just reread your post, and you asked for the distence between the two tubes. I gave the outside dimention. If memory is right, tube at knees is 5/8" diameter, and tube at shoulders is 1/2".
    Last edited by avidflyer; 01-25-2013 at 04:37 PM.

This is not specific to the original question, just adding some info for the archives... I have an extra model 3 seat pan that mclayton tried to fit into his model 2 recently and he said it did not fit properly. Not sure exactly what the issue was, PM him for the particulars.
    -Aeropro CZ Aerotrek A240 Tri-Gear SLSA 912uls
    -Airdale Avid+ on CZAW Amphibs 'FatAvid Floater' (building)
    -Kitfox 4-1200 TD 912ul (sold)
    -Kitfox Model III TD 582 (R.I.P.)
    -Avid Flyer Mk-IV TD (sold)