Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch

Thread: Grand Rapids Tech

Default Grand Rapids Tech

Does anyone out there have a Grand Rapids Tech electronic flight instrument system?

I've been contemplating the GRT SX Sport versus the Dynon FlightDEK-D180 for my project plane.

I really want to have a single box that makes up flight instruments and engine monitor. The GRT system is newer and there doesn't seem to be as many in operation as the Dynon. Both of these systems have pluses and minuses, so now I'm looking for testimonials...
    Av8r3400
    Kitfox Model IV
    The Mangy Fox
    912UL 105hp Zipper
    YouTube Videos

Default Re: Grand Rapids Tech

I have the GRT EIS for engine monitoring and the older Sport system for flight instruments. It has worked just fine and never given me any trouble. I have had the EIS engine monitors on my last 3 planes and like them very much. That said, the Dynon stuff is good gear as well, and if i was buying today I would seriously consider buying from Dynon. One thing I like is that they seem very simple to setup and have a few less features (which I think is a good thing). You can't go wrong with either as they both have good support and lots of field experience.

Andy Karmy
    Kitfox 7 - 912S - SOLD
    Auburn, WA

http://kitfoxflying.com

I would agree with Akarmy concerning the EIS and the Dynon. I have a GR EIS and a Dynon D-100. Both of them serve me well, however, I too would go the Dynon route today. The D-180 is nice, but I would look to the Skyview if you have enough real estate.
    Best wishes for the new year
    Dan B
    Mesa, AZ

Andy and Dan - Thanks for the replies and first hand input.

I have gone back and forth on these two and right now I'm leaning to the Dynon D180 again.

The panel in this plane will be a clean sheet design so real estate is not the issue. I do have a budget to adhere to and this will be the lion's share of it, along with an Icom A210 and Garmin GTX327...

Unfortunately the SkyView system is not compatible with my funding committee.
    Av8r3400
    Kitfox Model IV
    The Mangy Fox
    912UL 105hp Zipper
    YouTube Videos

I think you are on the right path for your design criteria. I also have the A210 and LOVE it. The D180 will work great in a budget panel setup like you plan and have way more stuff than any old cessna!
    Andy Karmy
    Kitfox 7 - 912S - SOLD
    Auburn, WA

http://kitfoxflying.com

ive got the a210 and the gtx327 and both have been serving well as well as having some nice features . not really a complaint but if the suns at your back the a210 display is a little hard to see , maybe because the gtx 327 is so bright and clear in the sun it may just make the a210 look not so good .
    chuck
    kitfox IV 1050
    912ul warpdrive
    flying B , yelm, wa