Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Heater core fittings, size ?

Cupar, SK, Canada CLC4 Loon Creek Airfield

Default Heater core fittings, size ?

Hi all,
    I have a model 5 that has a kitfox factory heater kit in it.

I am trying to find out what size/ type of fitting the barb is ? , that attaches to the heater rad and goes thru the firewall.

I can only see hose and firewall blanket with it hooked up right now.

I am going to install a cockpit controlled shutoff for the heater and will require to put a 90 degree elbow on the heater rad at the firewall exit. I would like to have all my fittings and supplies on hand before I drain the coolant and change all the hoses and such.

Thanks
    Kevin,

Kitfox Outback
    912 ULS
    Airmaster AP332CTFH-WWR70W
    Summit Aircraft Wheel Skis
    C-FOXW

Default Re: Heater core fittings, size ?

the heater kit that we got from kitfox for our model 7 used 5/8 id hose. we also used a thermostat kit from "highwing" that works very well, along with that we installed a 3/4 ball valve in line and a push pull cable from "mcfarland" and a 3 position fan switch.hope this helps

Hi thanks,

do you know if the barb fittings on the heater core were female AN ? I would think they would be.

The T's into the 1'' rad hose have 5/8 " barbs for the hose going to the heater barb on my setup , but for some reason the person who built the plane used 1/2" hose to the heater. It has been working but is stretched over the T fitting barbs.

I am doing this as part of the rotax 5 year rubber replacement recommendation , along with all the other coolant hoses, fuel lines, o-rings....
    Kevin,

Kitfox Outback
    912 ULS
    C-FOXW

The SS7 heater kit from Kitfox now comes with 1/2" hoses. They also supply the tee fittings with 1/2" barbs.

Jim

kmach, as i recall our heater kit had 2 - 1/2x5/8 hose reducers with it. you might call kitfox to get them.

You don't need reducers. Kitfox has 1"x 1/2" tee fittings. I got some from them just recently.

Jim

Hi all,

After some thought and a look at the heater setup from the cockpit side, I can fit a 7/8" wrench over the fittings that go onto the heater rad , so I think that equates to AN-8 fittings. (looks to be a straight an-8 barb thru the firewall)

The T's into the 1" rad line could be 1/2" , they don't have enough barb showing to get a caliper on, but the 1/2" hose on them does not appear to be "stretched" at the barb bulge.

I have an automotive turn cock shutoff ( requires cowl off to turn)that definitely has 5/8" barbs and the bulge on the barbs in very noticeable.

Thankyou all for the replies and giving me ideas to sort this out without taking things apart.
    Kevin,

Kitfox Outback
    912 ULS
    C-FOXW

Hi Kevin
    I have an automotive type flow valve mounted on the engine side of the firewall with a cable/ push pull knob on the panel. This allows you to adjust the water flow and control the heat much better than a ground adjustable valve. I am not being a smart ass here but maybe in Sask you just open it up in October and shut off next May!!!(sorry).
    Cheers
    Don

Quote Originally Posted by kitfox2009 View Post
    Hi Kevin
    I have an automotive type flow valve mounted on the engine side of the firewall with a cable/ push pull knob on the panel. This allows you to adjust the water flow and control the heat much better than a ground adjustable valve. I am not being a smart ass here but maybe in Sask you just open it up in October and shut off next May!!!(sorry).
    Cheers
    Don
    Hi Don,
    October to May, that's pretty much what I have been doing.

I am going to install a cockpit push /pull and shutoff you described when I switch out all the coolant hoses.

Got any pics of your shutoff install firewall forward ?
    Kevin,

Kitfox Outback
    912 ULS
    C-FOXW

That's what I do with mine, on around October, off in May. When I do use it the two fan speeds work pretty well. I can open and close the valve through the oil door if I find conditions to be cooler than I thought
    Dorsal ~~^~~
    Series 7 - Tri-Gear
    912 ULS Warp Drive