Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Winter is coming...

Default Re: Winter is coming...

Sweet ride Steve. We have booked flights for early Jan into Phenoix. Heading to mexician dentist, hope to have time to stop in and say hi.
    Great pictures evryone. Headed out last sunday as it was sunny and not to cold. I dont have that cabin heat in yet. Oh well off to Costa Rica tomorrow will have some catching up to do when we get back....

Strategic placement of duct tape over the radiator does wonders to keep the temps up. (Adding a thermostat would help too...) I also do some duct taping on the cabin/cowl to help with the breeze keeps the warm in.

I usually dress in layers, long johns and jeans with a sweatshirt under a medium coat. That will keep me comfy down into the low 20's. Lower than than and I just take shorter trip legs.
    Av8r3400
    Kitfox Model IV
    The Mangy Fox
    912UL 105hp Zipper
    YouTube Videos

duct tape, radiator and oil cooler covers..... and long johns, gloves and a toque!
    Ackselle
    Kitfox IV 1200 Classic C-GIKV
    29" Airstreaks, 11" Matco Tailwheel
    ROTAX 912, Hoffman HO-V352F CS Prop

And gloves and a stocking cap
    Steve Wilson
    Huntsville, UT
    Kitfox 85DD
    912A / 3 Blade Taper Tip Warp Drive
    Convertible Nosewheel & Tailwheel
    SkySteve's SPOT Page
    SkySteve's You Tube Videos

Variation of whats been said plus a cloth separator wall between the cabin and the back of the plane (helps a lot).
    Dorsal ~~^~~
    Series 7 - Tri-Gear
    912 ULS Warp Drive

1st winter with my kf4/912, hope the Earls cabin heater works! I have a manual oil cooler shutter and radiator shroud. For the duct tapers... Are you taping the shroud opening or radiator itself? And can you give us N.E. newbs some idea what Radiator % needs taped off for what temps with, say, your oil cooler 50% closed off. Thnx.
    -Aeropro CZ Aerotrek A240 Tri-Gear SLSA 912uls
    -Airdale Avid+ on CZAW Amphibs 'FatAvid Floater' (building)
    -Kitfox 4-1200 TD 912ul (sold)
    -Kitfox Model III TD 582 (R.I.P.)
    -Avid Flyer Mk-IV TD (sold)

I use aluminum tape for the radiator rather than duct tape. It doesn't leave a gooy mess when removed in the spring. I cover the part of the radiator that is exposed in the front cowl opening. No need to remote the cowl, just apply the tape from the front opening. If I remember right it only takes one strip of tape.
    Steve Wilson
    Huntsville, UT
    Kitfox 85DD
    912A / 3 Blade Taper Tip Warp Drive
    Convertible Nosewheel & Tailwheel
    SkySteve's SPOT Page
    SkySteve's You Tube Videos

In "Minnesnowta" it is pretty common to come to the tiedowns at a 'port we are visiting and find that the recessed tie down rings are level with the tarmac with extremely high quality ice.

I have an old Estwing Geologists pick that is absolutely perfect for busting the ice out and whacking through the steel tiedown loop to clear it. This past weeks experiences reminded me why I have it sitting in the baggage bay in the winter.....in the summertime it works equally well on tent stakes and portable tiedown stakes........the point is plenty sturdy to pry the portable tiedown stakes out of hardened clay when we're ready to go.

Not the only company that makes these but here is what they look like...one piece steel handle with a nice cushion plus enough weight and and a long sturdy point that works well for this other-than-intended original purpose. I think mine cost about $7.46.......sort of tells you how long ago it was purchased

http://www.toolking.com/estwing-e3-1...k-metal-handle

Sincerely,

Dave S
    KF & Trigear - Flying
    912ULS Warp
    St Paul, MN

Winter is finally here!
    Here is a flyout to Cavanaugh Bay for Lunch.
    Two Kitfoxes and a big engine Cessna 140.
    I put new pictures in my Formation and Ski Flying folders.

ResizedImage951356299221066.jpg

Yes, winter is definatly here in northern Mn also. Still don't have a lot of snow, but enough for me to put the skis on. Temps have been cold, although that's normal for this time of year. I flew on Friday and also today for an hour or more each time and the high for each day was about +12 F. Today I was flying with gloves off cause I sealed some airleaks around the passenger's door that I found while flying Friday. If I close off the fusaloge behind the seat, I think I can get rid of the snowmobile suit as well. Snapped a few pics of the Avid on it's winter footwear as well. Take care, Jim Chuk
    Attached Images Attached Images