Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Kitfox IV Speedster & learning to fly

Default Re: Kitfox IV Speedster & learning to fly

nice to read that someone else has a ball that acts like a compass . all along i thought it was me .
    chuck
    kitfox IV 1050
    912ul warpdrive
    flying B , yelm, wa

Just do it Jason. I learned in my model 4 1200 I was fortunate enough to have an instructor who has been teaching since the early 1960's and has owned his champ since 1966. Finding a good CFI is the trick. Try to find someone who has a lot of tail time. Once you get your license you'll wonder what all the fuss was about. Try to find some 2 stroke rotax guys in your area to teach you how to take care of your engine. I have no personal experience with the two strokes but many of my friends at the local ultralight field do, and seems to be a very reliable engine if taken care of. Insurance can be difficult to get being a student pilot in an experimental taildragger but it can be done. If you want to take a ride come on down I'm about an hour north of Baltimore and an hour south of Harrisburg.
    Nick W
    IV 1200
    912Ul
    Warp Taper Tip

Quote Originally Posted by kitfoxnick View Post
    Just do it Jason. I learned in my model 4 1200 I was fortunate enough to have an instructor who has been teaching since the early 1960's and has owned his champ since 1966. Finding a good CFI is the trick. Try to find someone who has a lot of tail time. Once you get your license you'll wonder what all the fuss was about. Try to find some 2 stroke rotax guys in your area to teach you how to take care of your engine. I have no personal experience with the two strokes but many of my friends at the local ultralight field do, and seems to be a very reliable engine if taken care of. Insurance can be difficult to get being a student pilot in an experimental taildragger but it can be done. If you want to take a ride come on down I'm about an hour north of Baltimore and an hour south of Harrisburg.
    Kitfoxnick, I used to live down in Shrewsbury, PA. Still have family in that area and get down there fairly often. Perhaps we can cross paths at some point. The kitfox IV I'm looking at has a 912 engine in it so no dealing with two stroke maintenance.

Thanks everyone for your input.

I have a Kitfox 4 and absolutely love it .I have many mods that make it a better airplane (wide bush gear,elevator trim,etc)
    Having over 2000 hrs in various taildraggers (Pitts,DerJaeger,KR2,Cessnas,Luscombe,Monocoupe,Wa co,Cubs,Champs,etc) , I found this airplane very unique in its handling.Would I recommend it for initial flight training.....NO.
    As an example there is another 4 at our local airport. The guy got it on a trade in for another aircraft . His instructor ,a friend of mine, has over 25 hours with him and he still he can't keep the airplane on the runway. This guy is a licensed pilot with taildragger time (not alot but some) he is middle aged. I bring age up as it is a factor in learning. If you are a young sharp guy you will probably pick up the necessary skills quicker.
    I think taildragger training in another aircraft would be the way to go then transition into the fox when you have your skills nailed...my opinion.(might save on aircraft repair)
    Dick

Excellent observation and advise, Dick. I couldn't agree more...
    Av8r3400
    Kitfox Model IV
    The Mangy Fox
    912UL 105hp Zipper
    YouTube Videos

Jason next time your down to Shrewsbury send me a PM and I'll give you my number. I'm only about 15 mins from shrewsbury just south of Stewartstown. There's a small airport (0p2 Shoestring) in Shrewsbury mostly ultralights but there's another kitfox 4 there and that guy took his initial training in it. I was 32 years old when I started doing the sport pilot and had 23 hrs when I took my practical test. A year later I used the model 4 for my to take my private pilot check ride. My 4 was bone stock at the time including the bungee gear.

I'm not discounting what Dick said, and he certainly has much more experience than I'll probably ever have. Having said that, I think your background has a lot to do with it. If you grew up on a farm running tractors skid loaders and combines it'll be easier than if you grew up in a neighborhood and the first thing you drove was a car at 16.
    Nick W
    IV 1200
    912Ul
    Warp Taper Tip

Hey Jason. I'm from Salem, County, N.J. I'm in the middle of restoring a Model IV Speedster. Installing a Jabiru 2200 in it. I've read up on Andover and talked to the CFI via e-mail. Sounds like a good place to get your training. I found a CFI that trains in a Luscombe from Virginia. That is a side by side, stick, tail wheel. They teach in a J-3 cub tandem at Andover.
    I can't train in mine as it goes back into phase1 testing after I put the new engine on it. If you take yours to Andover, I'd like to come up to see it. -Tom from Salem County.

Hey Tom,
    How many hours are they requiring for your new phase 1? A lot of time they just give you 5 hrs to fly off.
    Nick W
    IV 1200
    912Ul
    Warp Taper Tip

Quote Originally Posted by Lion8 View Post
    ... I found a CFI that trains in a Luscombe from Virginia. That is a side by side, stick, tail wheel. They teach in a J-3 cub tandem at Andover. ...
    A Freightliner has a steering wheel and a stick shift, but doesn't drive like a Ferrari.

This sounds like a great place to start, but a Kitfox/Avid is a lot different flying machine from a Luscombe, even a Vagabond (which is much 'sportier' and more similar to a KF/Avid).

These little planes demand some respect or they WILL bite you.

Just saying...
    Av8r3400
    Kitfox Model IV
    The Mangy Fox
    912UL 105hp Zipper
    YouTube Videos

Dont be an "Ice Road Trucker" If you learn to fly in the KF you will not know any difference, but your feet will be much more agile when you move into another airplane. Many Many people have built and learned to fly in the Avid or Kitfox line of aircraft. That was a major portion of the original intent of the design. During original conception it was not to allow older pilots who could not pass a physical anymore to transition into a light aircraft..

Saying that you should learn to fly in different plane first is like saying all drivers should only learn to drive using an automatic tranny, and later in your life you can learn to drive a stick shift.