Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Heat

Default Re: Heat

Quote Originally Posted by Dorsal View Post
    FWIW on wiring the muffin fans, I used a DPDT switch to put the fans in series or parallel resulting in a high and low setting. I found this quite nice in the fall when I wanted only a little heat.

Great idea on the switch, Dorsal! I've thought of modifying my 1050 in this same manner. Right now it's either on or off...
    Av8r3400
    Kitfox Model IV
    The Mangy Fox
    912UL 105hp Zipper
    YouTube Videos

guess ive never wanted just a little heat , ill take all i can get . the left leg gets pretty cold sometimes .
    chuck
    kitfox IV 1050
    912ul warpdrive
    flying B , yelm, wa

Well it hasn't been set on low lately kinda looking forward to temps where the low setting is even a consideration. Better yet, temps where I shut the heater core off altogether.
    Time to go out and clear my 700' driveway AGAIN.
    Dorsal ~~^~~
    Series 7 - Tri-Gear
    912 ULS Warp Drive

I run a small heater core in my Kitfox on floats controlled by a water valve and a electric fan. I don't fly it in winter, but really enjoy having heat in late fall and early spring (35 F, wet feet, flip flops, shorts...brrrr) It's sufficient down to that temp.

I really like the 912 thermostat for the cooling system, that will help keep the coolant temps up when it gets cold outside . Always wondered why no one did it earlier? I think I'm going to order one.

BUT, I think the ultimate heater for our planes would be to run a heat muff (or two) right off the header pipes using fresh air to blow air into the cabin, and then ducting that air to blow through the heater core. So rather than a fan you could just meter the amount of fresh air from your heat muffs, and the water valve on the heater core. Or you could just run the heat muff heat to each footwell and end up having 2 or 3 separate heaters in your kitfox. Hmmmm?

Another idea I've had was to wire the heater core fan so it can be reversed, which would allow you to have a nice windshield defroster if you just put a piece of duct going up. Anyhow, just another idea I wanted to share.

Do all of these things and we will be the envy of aircraft owners, as we'll have so much heat we won't know what to do with it...

things I've done for my kf. I take every year and remove the front engine covers. Than I take some clear plastic and wrap it over the front section where the panel is and tape it to the windscreen and over the firewall and secure it in place with wireties where applicable. Than I put the covers back on, you see nothing, but it cuts out all the air leaks up front. Than I put weather stripping on the doors down the side and bottom. than I take duck tape and seal off the top of the doors. I took fabric and sealed off the area at the top of the door to the wing, than I take tape and tape from the wing to the rib at the top of the door, needs to be removed if you pull the wings back. than I use the heat off the radiator, that way I don't have to much extra weight, like performance. what I do is put an oil funnel behind the cooler and then attach scat tube and run it into the cabin. I'm thinking of putting two of these on soon. I also run an oil thermostat and the oil temps are always good. I also have a vest that is electric and it gets nice and warm.

Now with that said, I don't fly below 25degrees. Main reason, the rv runs nice inside to where I only need my tshirt at 0degrees outside, I be spoiled.
    steve
    slyfox
    model IV 1200-flying
    912uls
    IVO medium in-flight
    RV7A-flying
    IO-360
    constant speed prop

Slyfox,
    Good tips, I need to seal up my firewall.
    Nice to have you back!
    Dorsal ~~^~~
    Series 7 - Tri-Gear
    912 ULS Warp Drive

Slyfox- don't disappear for so long next time. We almost sent out a search and rescue crew. You were missed. Happy New Year.

DesertFox4
    Admin.
    7 Super Sport
    912 ULS Tri-gear

oh, ok. I'll do better.
    steve
    slyfox
    model IV 1200-flying
    912uls
    IVO medium in-flight
    RV7A-flying
    IO-360
    constant speed prop

does anyone know the cfm rating of the muffin fans your using??

I have two mounted on my cabin heater core and they are each rated at 100 cfm.