Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Heat

Default Heat

For those who have asked about the effectiveness of the standard KF heater (the one that works of the coolant lines). We flew today with OATs of 0deg f, heater took the chill off but definitely needed jackets. I have a cloth barrier to the back which keeps the cold air off my neck. With a basic winter jacket and thin driving gloves I could have flown all day.
    Beautiful flying today, my son got some nice pics of a fox crossing a snow covered lake, stopped by and met CainBird (nice hangar he built himself). All in all a good day.
    Last edited by Dorsal; 01-23-2011 at 06:19 AM.
    Dorsal ~~^~~
    Series 7 - Tri-Gear
    912 ULS Warp Drive

Default Re: Heat

Fox watching a Fox
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Dorsal ~~^~~
    Series 7 - Tri-Gear
    912 ULS Warp Drive

Nice pic Dorsal, I assume your boy snapped it. Where was this taken?

That looks like a "COOL" Picture from a Fox of a Fox! It's been cold hear in North Texas, but not that cold!
    Paul Zimmermann
    LSRM-A
    Garland, Texas

Cain, that was on Wachusett reservoir

Paul, -10 outside this morning, did you get your carbs cleaned? are you back in the air?
    Dorsal ~~^~~
    Series 7 - Tri-Gear
    912 ULS Warp Drive

fantastic picture. Are you sure it is a fox? Looks like a coyote to me and seldom do you see a fox out in the open. Just wondering.
    We made it up to 0 C with no wind yesterday so got out for an hour. Have been thinking about the heater idea. thanks for the product review

We also thought it might be a coyote but we where in a Kifox so we decided it was a fox (apparently incorrectly). I suppose the heading of a Fox chasing a Coyote could also work
    Dorsal ~~^~~
    Series 7 - Tri-Gear
    912 ULS Warp Drive

na fox chasing fox sounds

Back on the subject of heat, my jury-rigged temporary separator wall failed today and boy it sure makes a big difference in how warm we feel in the cabin. My lovely wife made me a better one with slots for the seat belts and velcro on the back. I use two 8" strips of velcro to either side of the word EXPERIMENTAL on the top tube behind my head. The material is from a $5 quilted blanket from Harbor Freight, I also ran some bicycle cable down the sides to make them a little less floppy.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Dorsal; 01-30-2011 at 05:33 PM.
    Dorsal ~~^~~
    Series 7 - Tri-Gear
    912 ULS Warp Drive

Quote Originally Posted by Dorsal View Post
    Cain, that was on Wachusett reservoir

Paul, -10 outside this morning, did you get your carbs cleaned? are you back in the air?
    We had 19 which is cold enough for me! I took the Carbs off, and if there was an opening, port, whatever, I sprayed Carb Cleaner in it, until it came running back out! I rotated it around and then poor out any in the bowl etc., and then did it again. Saturday, I put the carbs and intakes back on the engine, and Today, I mechanically sync'ed the carbs. It fired right up. It runs much better! Next Saturday, I'll sync them and then I can put it back together after the Annual, and then go flying!
    Paul Zimmermann
    LSRM-A
    Garland, Texas