Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Upgrade to 582 blue head worth the money at resale?

I have two Rotax 582's, a grey head and a blue head, both
    have about 100 hours.

If I upgrade my Kitfox3 to the blue head and IF i wanted
    to sell the airplane, would that blue head actually make it more
    valuable? If so by how much do you guys figure? in other words,
    would I get $2000 more if it had a blue head? or just $200 more?

Someone who watches Barnstormers more than I might know!

Thanks!

I was trying to take the 'hours' out of the question by
    saying I have two engines same hours.... how much
    would the dollar value increase at resale with the blue head?
    I realize it's a 'selling point' but does it equate to dollars
    in the end?

Thanks!

Default Re: Upgrade to 582 blue head worth the money at resale?

the selling point between to 2 engines would be better for the blue head because of what has been said about the grey head prior to the "fix" with the rotary valve,..if you have just the 2 engines for sale,..you'd get more for the blue head,..with equal hours, also because the blue head is the newer model
    As for resale to include the airframe ..or plane,..what your asking is hard to determine since the engine is not the only concern for a buyer,..how well the construction of the plane is,and maintained..cosmetic's..panel ..etc all are taken into consideration,
    the blue head would be a plus but
    ..a buyer might present it is as a 582 is a 582 no matter what color it is,..
    because he is looking at fuel burn rate .cost of TBO's ..etc

Chase

I'm trying to remove all of those 'various considerations' and get down to a dollar difference. I'm trying ot keep the question simple cause there's always complexities

Let me ask it this way - if you were comparing TWO IDENTICAL KITFOX in EVERY way, how much more would you be willing to pay simply to have a blue head over a gray head?

well let me answer this way ,,theoretically you should get the same money either way,..it would be "your" and or the "buyers" personal preference concerning the blue head over the grey head wether your willing to charge more or less or for the buyer to pay more or less for either plane due to only the blue or grey head being the difference,..as I mentioned in "so many words" it will depend on how well the buyer know's the difference's,..as a rule when "I'm" selling anything,..I add 3 % to 5 % to the figure I want to get , leaving room for bartering etc, that still doesn't mean I will get that $ figure offered to me.
    Put yourself in the buyers position,..would you pay more for the blue head plane or the grey head plane? being they are identical in every aspect with exception to the engine.
    It may be a buyers plan to buy a model 3 with a 582 with intentions of replacing the 582 with a 912,.. each buyer has his own adgenda,..just as each seller has his own as well.

Chase

just curious ..what would you be asking for your model 3 if it were for sale?..

an example for you,.. I bought a prototype 1/4 mile racer nordic hull with a low time 850 HP Aries motor for 13K,..I got a good deal on it because the motor alone cost more then 13K,..I used that boat for 2 years,..and sold it for 25K,..it took awhile to sell it,..but I was in no rush ,..it took the right person to pay the price I was asking.
    so another factor will be how bad do you want to sell ,..and how bad does the buyer want it .

Chase

I would pay at least $2000 more. I think it may take a little longer to sell but someone that knows the value of the Blue head will eventually come along.
    Tom Jones
    Classic 4 builder

I've had both engines in my 3. When the gray head seized the question was, rebuild it or go for a new blue head. I paid up for the blue head and have never regretted it. And besides, after having one of these things quit mid flight, I'd be a lot more concerned with which one is more likely to get me home in one piece when I'm flying than a future resale. You sell the blue head now, you get more now. Sell it later, get more later. I'd make the decision on which one you want to bet your skin on.

that could be said about any engine, and there is always the chance regardless of choice for engine failure,.. just keep on top of maintenance

What he is saying all Engines are not created equally, some are more reliable than others. Having been an engineer for 35+ years, I would concur with his statement! All the maintenance on a poor design does not make it more reliable!
    Paul Zimmermann
    LSRM-A
    Garland, Texas

Does this mean you think the 582 is a poor design?