Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch

Thread: spinner install model IV

Default spinner install model IV

I'm working on installation of the spinner on my second hand Model IV 582 kit. The aluminimum spinner (GNC GA 3 blade wood prop), came with a backing or spacer plate. I'm thinking that the spacer plate fits between the prop flange and rear blukhead of the spinner. Is this correct? Also, what is the correct bolt size for mounting the prop assembly to the prop flange? Lastly, do I use bolts with the heads drilled for saftey wire facing foward and nylocs? Appreciate any guidance from the group. I have some missing assembly instructions.

Lane

Lane,

I do not have the same prop; however, there is normally a 1/4" to 3/8" thick crush plate that goes in front of the prop to reinforce the hub on a ground adjustable prop - it is an important part to keep the prop from coming apart when the plane is not in the hangar. I can't tell from your post what the thickness is of the plate you are talking about and I think it would be better not to guess about it. Checking with the prop and spinner manufacturer would be best.

The manufacturer of the prop should be able to tell you exactly where the placement should be. If it is thin like the bulkhead - probably not a crush plate. If it is 1/4" to 3/8" thick - probably the crush plate. Make sure you have it right.

For the bolt size - again that should be available from the Prop MFG - they will either be 8mm or AN and the length is critical because the nuts cannot bottom out on the bolt shank and bolts have to be long enough so the right number of threads are exposed when tightened.

Normally the bolt heads should face forward and the nuts should be on the back of the prop flange of the engine. Real good idea to safety wire in addition to using the nyloc nuts like you said - also good to use some pigeon poop (torque seal) so you can tell on visual inspection at preflight if the nuts have backed off any.

Sincerely,

Dave S