Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch

Thread: Spring weather

Default Spring weather

Well, I thought I would show you all something other than clear blue cloudless days landing on beaches... Not that it's not fun, just good to go out and remind yourself that the Kitfox can take on other weather if your skills are up to it.

So I had a few min before work today, and stopped by the airport. As I rolled out on the runway, I noticed it was a tad breezy, my takeoff run was about 50ft and I was at 800ft above the airport office at mid field. Hum this is fun! As I headed out to see what I could see, I came upon a bald eagle that was ridge soaring below me, I pulled back the power and circled above him for a bit, watching how he twisted and turned in the wind. Reminded me of how the Kitfox wings flap a little in turbulence!

Well, as I'm flying along it's getting more and more bumpy (which I like) when finally I see this on my EFIS screen!

Wow, winds at 54 from the southwest. Time to head back to the airport before these blow down to the surface! 15 min later it was 30 mph at 200ft and about 12 on the surface. Yep, some strong systems are moving through the area today!
    Andy Karmy
    Kitfox 7 - 912S - SOLD
    Auburn, WA

http://kitfoxflying.com

Default Re: Spring weather

that's basically what I saw today, except, on the straight in for 21L there was a cell that went to the ground, hummm. the tower cleared me for a straight in for 21L, I come back and said, there is a cell in the way, I'll be coming in from the freeway. even on the outside of the cell it was windy and raining with a little hail. That was fun. Oh and I saw a bit of lightening also. Tower did come back that I was cleared for a left base entry for 21L. Nothing like early spring flying.

I forgot to add. Since the weather was bad when I went to fly, I er um , I went up in the RV. It was smooth flyn' for me. Ok a little bump here and there. Man am I spoiled.

In 1999 a good flying buddy of mine passed due to an anurism ,..for his burial, his wife asked me to fly over the site as low as possible,as they set him to rest.(due to the trees 40 agl was as low as I could get) then fly up towards the heavens,..so I did,..that day was 35 mph gusts at the surface ,.cloudy,..big low pressure coming through the mountains,..once I got past 5K ASL ,..about 2300 AGL,. the winds hit me so hard it practically flipped me a couple times ,..but I like it bumpy too ,..once I was sure I was out of sight ,.I put her back below 5k asl and headed home.

Chase

Gee, I just came back from some solo work in a Warrior, 0 mph wind, clear sky, 60 degrees and a beautiful sunset.
    Dorsal ~~^~~
    Series 7 - Tri-Gear
    912 ULS Warp Drive

sounds like Mass weather to me ,..Dorsal I know of a sand bar on the Cape you might want to land on it's just south south east of that strip close to the beach on the cape P.S. watch out for the little black jeeps that come out if to greet you if you land there ha ha