Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch

Thread: Just how fast can you go towing?

Default Just how fast can you go towing?

Is it best to remove the wings for towing long distances (over 500 Miles) at interstate speeds?
    We are talking about a 10 hour drive at 60 mph.Any thoughts.

Default Re: Just how fast can you go towing?

Hi you are talking about towing the plane on an open trailer or an enclosed trailer? With the wing supports towing on a trailer that distance would be no problem, the wing supports can be made using 1/2" electrical conduit and some smooth ready rod 1/2" that will slip inside the conduit may need a torch to do a little heating and bending. I trailered mine home in an enclosed trailer a distance of about 140 miles with no wing supports with no problems I did not go over 55 mph.
    GB
    Flying a HKS Kitfox III and a Champ

It is an open trailer. How does the wing support system work and where and at how many points is it connected to the wings. I would guess the front spar needs to be supported .What about the wing tip end when wing is folded back. Do you need to cover the root end of the wing so wind can not enter the holes in the wing root rib? Do you need to put elevator locks on the elevator and rudder as well as the control stick for towing at that speed?

I trailered my KF about 2500 miles across the USA. This was done in an open trailer and I think that was the only four days ever of no rain along the trip. Everything was supported, elevator locks, rudder locks, the whole nine yards. Except, I did not support the tail of the plane. It was sitting on the tailwheel. Somewhere along the way, I think in Montana, I hit a huge chuck hole. This caused the tail spring to contact bottom of the rudder which bent both. So, make sure you support the tail using the appropriate method. Somewhere in this forum is a thread about trailering and it even shows pictures of the hardware.

Scott

There are two places that supports are used when folding the wings. I made a support for the main spar using 1/2" conduit, bent to the correct shape, and I used a turnbuckle to allow for adjustment. Others have just used threaded rod with a nut and washer below the spar and a nut and washer above the spar. The bottom is connected to the float fittings with a pin.

There is a tab welded to the vertical stab, and a tab welded to the strut where it attaches to the wing. A rod goes between these tabs and is held in place with a couple bolts.

Both are pretty important to keep any undue stress off the wings. I also slit foam rubber "noodles" and slide them over the trailing edge of the flaperons to keep them from rubbing on the rudder. Then I also tie the flaperons together behind the rudder just to to be sure that a wing doesn't come loose and swing out. (hell on light poles and signs posts).

I'll try to add a few pictures, I hope that they aren't too big.

Louie
    Attached Images Attached Images

Here's a poor man's (Hillbilly) Kitfox trailer set-up.
    Tom Jones
    Classic 4 builder

...and more details. The second photo is the wing lock back brace. these are all a model 4.
    Tom Jones
    Classic 4 builder

the tail support that was just mentioned is extremly important also. I use a piece of aluminum channel that connects to the track that the tailwheel ride in while loading, and to the fuselage forward of the tailwheel through the tube welded to the fuselage that is used by the "towbar". This brace takes the shock of bumps and keeps the tailwheel spring from getting broke. Remember that the weight on the tailwheel with the wings folded is HUGE. Again, I'll try to add a picture.

Louie

...and three more showing details.
    Tom Jones
    Classic 4 builder