Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Landing on the beach

Default Landing on the beach

Here's what you do when you have a free day in Seattle. Head out to the coast and land on the state's beach runway. Yes it's really a state airport, only distinguishing feature is a sign that says this is Coapalis state airport. You just make sure the tide is going out instead of in, overfly to look for beach walkers, and head for the sand. What fun!

Andy Karmy
    Kitfox 7 - 912S - SOLD
    Auburn, WA

http://kitfoxflying.com

Default Re: Landing on the beach

Looks like a great way to spend the day. Much different than what we have here in Kentucky. Nice pic.

Dick B

what beautiful weather. nothing better.

Nice area Andy. I used to fly into Ocean Shores and Westport alot. Never made it into Copalis tho. Guess we're going to have to come back up there sometime.
    Mark & Renee Smith
    Boise, ID
    "Build It ..."

Beautiful airplane and great pictures.

Question - Could you have landed there with a nose-gear airplane?

Thanks
    Rodney Wren

Awesome Andy ,..looking at your tracks in front of your feet ,..your getting pretty good at running around with the tail up
    one of the great things about landing on the beach which I'm sure you'll figure out quick ,,the wind is always clean no matter how fast it's blowing off the water.
    If the wind is blowing striaght off the water towards land ,..sometimes if you can find the thermal line and get into it ,..pull back a little power nose her up slightly and just hang right there with no or very little forward ground speed,...bank her left slightly ..then back to the right feeling for the edge of the thermal,..now that's flying with the birds

Rodney,..from the looks of the surface ,..I would land on that beach with a nose wheel ,..but ,.not all beaches have the compacted sand,.a tell tale sign is foot prints ..if they are shallow or barely visible..the surface is harder,..it they are deep prints or look like little pockets in the sand ,.the sand is loose and could possible swallow a nose wheel. and although it may look flat,..not all beaches are,..like Andy had mentioned about looking for beach walkers ,..I'm sure he was also looking for a flat spot,..it's good practice tail wheel or tri gear to always over fly the area you plan on touching down look for drift wood,..walkers,..swirls in the sand is proof of an eddy when the tide was going out which could mean a low spot on the beach. a line in the sand going from the land towards the water that looks wet,..shiny,..these area's can swallow the main gear on a tail dragger let alone a nose wheel on a tricycle,..
    any surface that is generally all the same color can hide a hazard,..especially when the sun is at it's apex or near it,.casting no shadows, or no shadow conditions such as over cast etc.
    Not trying to detour anyone from landing on a beach,..just a heads up

rodney , ive done a lot of flying around northeastern oklahoma and hadnt seen very may beaches i would land on there
    chuck
    kitfox IV 1050
    912ul warpdrive
    flying B , yelm, wa

CAP01

I live in Ft Towson, in southeastern OK - and we have miles and miles of
    the Red River which has some very large sandbars. I think??? they may be too soft for a nose gear airplane. I've never tried to land on one, but you can see the tracks of four-wheelers and the sand does appear to be somewhat soft.

When the weather gets a little warmer, I plan on taking my four-wheeler down to some of these sand bars and do a little looking around.

At certain times of the year, there are stripers that come up the Red River until they get to the Texhoma Lake dam - it would be a lot of fun and great fishing to be able to land on a sandbar - no one else around etc.

That's cool Rodney ,..just went over the red river 2 days ago coming back from Dallas,..I'm looking for some land not far from OK TX Border,..near Sherman Texas,.so I'll be flying the red river too