Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Mod. III Control Modification

Default Re: Mod. III Control Modification

Hallgrimur,.the advantage of the mod is that your aeleron "mode" of the flaperon system is at a ratio of 2 to 1,..this reduces yaw induced by the aeleron input,.so less rudder is needed,.the flap system is still effective and better because now with flaps (using the mod) you gain more control with your surfaces ,..less control input get's more results.
    the model 3 fly's great just the way it is,..just as the model 2 does as well,..but they do have allot of moving parts in the flaperon mechanism.
    changing the mixture on the plane will not make it unsafe,..,.now if you are use to flying it with one control mixture set up and then change it ,..it will be like flying a different plane ,..and it will be a good thing or bad ,..depending on the indiviuals desire in handling that motivated changing the control mixer set up.
    I know some say ..if it isn't broke ,..don't fix it but some also say use the "Kiss" method,..keep it simple sir this mod is the simpler of the 2

I am sure you are right in every way Chase. I am not trying to dispute that.
    I for one have learned a lot by reading your comments on the Kitfox and also from Steve, the Slyfox. You both are to be admired for your willingness to shear with all of us Kitfox flyers your experience and studies.
    What I mean regarding modification of the flaperons, or what I am trying to say, is it worth it, and then it depend on how the individual is operating the plane and the need for manuvearing at a very slow speed etc..
    The Kitfox is a fantastic plane and very forgiving to the pilot
    Kind regards
    hallgrimur

well thank you Hallgrimur ,.. you nail it when you said ..it depends on the individual ,..and that is also what makes the kitfox unique ..it is a very versatile aircraft that meets many needs,..with upgrades/mods available,.model 3 mixture mod ..spring aluminum gear,.trike or tail dragger.airfoiled tail or not,..one piece turtle decks,.etc
    all mod's that have bled down from a newer version that enhance the roots of all kitfox aircraft

I fly my model 4 a lot. Maybe not so much last year. Only 146hrs. But I have flown it over 1300hrs now. I have no wear on my controls. I don't just fly point a to b either. I'm pretty tough on the little bird. I like yank and banks and other things She is a tough bird and I wouldn't think anything adverse about the controlls on the model 4, they are real tough.

Aw shucks. I just like to hear that people are enjoying their kitfox's. If I can put in a few tips, well, maybe the family will grow bigger and bigger. Makes for more fun for all of us.

GB - I do not see a modification offered in the kitfox catalog for adding a dorsal fin and increasing the vertical fina area? Is this modificatoin available at this time?

One response I've gotten on the Mod.III flaperon control modification to a Mod.IV control system was that they thought that I needed to change from a Mod.III wing to a Mod. IV wing also, in order to complete this modification? This is not what I understand from the catalog however.

John at Kitfox cleared up my confusion on the Mod.III to Mod.IV flaperon control modification (PN-19065.000). He said, "There are a couple of brackets that get bonded into the fuselage to mount the mixer assembly, new mixer assembly, flaperon push-pull tubes, Control column, flap handle, bellcranks, push-pull tubes. Basically you are replacing your flaperon control system."

I am still curious about the possibility of adding a dorsal fin and increasing the area of my dorsal fin through a modification, like GB mentioned inhis reply below.Great comments.

Really does help to understand prior to ordering something I may not want or need. - ThanksMarkMod.III (#1050) Kitfox

To add a dorsal fin in front of the vertical stabilzer..it should have been done prior to covering ,..it's made from aircraft grade aluminum,.. once formed you have 3 choices ,,don't put anything inside of the formed area,..or cut and epoxy some foam into the void to hold the shape ..a couple 1 inch wide sections evenly spaced ,.or make some aluminum ribs to put inside of the fin ,..this can also be epoxied so no rivets showing.I say this ..because dorsal fins tend to attract hands for moving the tail sideways,..it will keep the shape more rigid with something in the void to hold it from beer canning,..

you can add one after it's covered ,..after making the fin ..set it in place draw a line where it meets the top of the tail deck and tail,..remove it and use MEK to take the finish back to the fabric ..install your fin then cover the seams or the whole fin with fabric,..bring the new section of fabric back to painted condition,.. poly brush etc,..

Chase

Are there any instructions for this dorsal fin modification that you are aware of?

I am leaning toward the flaperon control mod, since I have not completed the Mod.III control system to date or covered the aircraft (see attached).
    Does anyone know of a builder who has actually installed the flaperon (Mod.IV) control system on a Mod.III Kitfox?
    Attached Images Attached Images

No instructions to my knowledge ,..I'm thinking it would be considered a personal ad on item,.owners choice.

myself if I were to add a dorsal fin I would go vertical 1/3rd the vertical stab height and forward 2 inches of the cross tube in front of the vertical stab.

because the dorsal fin and the airframe are 2 different materials I would prime the interior of the fin where it meets the fuselage.

you can tape a piece of string from the vertical stab to a forward position to find what catch's your eye as the right angles or connect points ..hope this helps

Chase
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by SkyPirate; 01-26-2010 at 11:53 AM.