Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch

Thread: Model IV Wheels and Bearings

Default Model IV Wheels and Bearings

Do Model IV owners not service their inner wheel bearings every year? How do you get them out?

The outers come right out, but the inners have a metal seal that's a press fit holding them in. I can't think of a way to pull that seal without damaging the bearings or the wheel. I guess you need some kind of puller but I couldn't find one that I was willing to pay $50 for without knowing it would work.

Default Re: Model IV Wheels and Bearings

Jon, I happen to have Cleveland wheels and brakes and mine have snap rings retaining the bearings in place. Very easy to remove and service all four bearings yearly. Grove wheels may also have the snap ring retainers.
    What type do you have?

DesertFox4
    Admin.
    7 Super Sport
    912 ULS Tri-gear

There's no markings on them but I'm pretty sure they're the stock ATV wheels made by Douglas that shipped with most of the kits in the 90's.

I don't repack every year, with that said, I think, I bet, I put on more landings than you do. But, I believe when I did mine I did the classic take out the outer bearing reinstall the nut, than take the whole wheel and kind of pull it off. What that does is put force on the inner bearing against the seal, should come right off. That's how I use to do front wheel bearings on a car, now they have sealed bearings.
    steve
    slyfox
    model IV 1200-flying
    912uls
    IVO medium in-flight
    RV7A-flying
    IO-360
    constant speed prop