Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch

Thread: Need help

Default Need help

Need help I dont know if i should paint the fuselage at this point. This kit is 40% done. Kitfox 2 has been primed and preparation has been done. Floorboards and controls and rudder pedals are in springs not hook up but in . Wings have been mounted to the fuselage and struts. Would this be the right time to take all controls out and paint the fuselage?

Thanks Brian

Default Re: Need help

Brian,
    Now would probably be as good a time as any to paint, however a few things to consider...
    1. Do you have a place to paint that you can control the temperature? Many guys have painted in all phases of weather, however, I can tell you from experience...painting in a space that will hold the temp fairly well is a good thing. It all boils down to the type of paint you use and your experience.
    2. Remove the controlls? I wouldn't bother taking the controlls out...just cover and tape things off well.
    3. If you were indicating the controll surfaces, yes...you will want to take the rudder, elevator, flaperons, and wings off the plane.
    4. Make or acquire a pair of wing stands. You can find a couple versions here on the site. They are needed to paint the wings.
    Hope these thoughts help.
    Dan B
    Mesa, AZ

May have a paint shop to paint in but not sure. My friends brother has a paint shop he might paint it for me . I only want to paint the fuselage tube frame i dont have the covering on it . I might try and paint the frame . Any info- that you or anyone can give me would be great. What paint would you use on the plane?

That is different not having it covered. Take everything off and have a shop powder-coat it.
    Dan B
    Mesa, AZ

I agree with Dan,I would have it powder coated as opposed to paint. It really is not much more and some cases cheaper.Just make sure you have all the welding of brackets,etc.And any welds that may need smoothed up use a DA sander on or something similar.You will have a nice looking piece when done. Randy

We have a guy in town who does great powder coat. Do i need to use any
    kind of powder coat for planes or just tell him to powder coat it white.

Thanks Brian
    Attached Images Attached Images

I wouldnt think there is any difference in powder coating airplanes vs. anything else but your man should be able to tell you.We use 4130 on our race cars and they just plain old powdercoat them.You should probably get a quote before you drop it off and maybe you can do some of the prep yourself to offset the cost.But then again professionals may not want you touching it as the finish may not turn out right if it is not prepped right. Good Luck on your project. Randy