Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch

Thread: Float Plane Question

Default Float Plane Question

Is it possible to land a float plane in the water if an engine failure occurs say 50ft. high on climb-out. Since I will be running a 582 just wondering.

Default Re: Float Plane Question

The successful outcome of an emergency landing during critical phase of flight, be it on water or land, is dependent on many factors. While there are subtle differences in technique for landing on water vs. land, it is always imperative the pilot maintain control.

So, to answer if you can land on water in a float plane from 50 feet would depend on what the airplane is doing at the moment of engine failure.

What speed?
    What pitch?
    How much water in front of you?
    Have you done power off landings on water before?
    What is the wind?
    Is the water choppy or smooth?
    Day or night?

The list can go on…

Perhaps the best answer is, “It depends on your own ability.”

For practice you might try this exercise at a safe altitude:

Put the aircraft in a climb at best angle, Vx. Note the altitude, then chop the power simulating a sudden power loss. Push the nose over to establish a glide, then immediately flare for a simulated landing. Note the altitude again. The difference is your minimum altitude needed to land straight ahead. Many pilots are surprised at how much altitude it takes at minimum speed (Best angle). In a Cessna 150 it takes about 50 to 100 feet.

Now do the exercise again at best rate, Vy. In the Cessna 150 it can be done with zero loss of altitude.

What the exercise demonstrates is that speed is your friend on takeoff. Once you have cleared a 50 foot obstacle there is no point in continuing a steep angle. Go for best rate of climb.

I hope this answers your question in a practical manner.

John Pitkin
    Greenville, TX

Great info. I have actually never been in a float plane yet. It just looks to me watching videos most will carry a little power while landing. I live near the St, Johns River here in Florida and seems like a great way to spend the day and have a landing strip under you as the river is 300 miles long, Once I finish the K3 thats the direction I would like to go. I think so anyway.

Yep, like jt said...lots of variables but if you have plenty of water ahead it really shouldn't be a problem. I have a little float time (couple hundred hours), float flying is probably a little more critical as far as landing speeds are concerned but if you are flying, put the nose down, establish glide/landing speed and you'll be fine. I have had an engine 'out' a couple times on landing and it was a non-event.
    (This was due to a low idle speed set on the engine.) A float plane has NO brakes so many people up here will lower the idle a bit to slow the plane down a bit. With a normal/fast idle a float plane will move at a good pace on a calm day. You are 'flying' the plane from the minute you untie it until the time it is tied to the dock again. Like being in a sailboat under full sail. You are nothing but a big weather vane.....gets hairy if you have an engine out and there is a brisk breeze.
    I will state that once you fly floats you will be hooked!!! It is the most fun type of flying I do. I know several guy up in MN that would rather have an engine out while on floats over being on wheels mostly due to the amount of water in northern MN. You can nearly always land into the wind when on floats. In your situation of taking off and having an issue, you should already be flying into the wind so you are already set up for landing.
    Last edited by WWhunter; 02-22-2013 at 08:24 AM.

Sorry to hijack the thread for a second, but Keith, are you going to the Long Lake ski flyin tomorrow? I'm hoping to if we don't have snow in the morning. Take care, Jim Chuk

Jim,
    Hello sir!!! Sorry but I won't be making it to the fly-in since I am spending the winter with the spousal unit (wife) in Maryland. She is at Ft. Meade, MD just south of Baltimore. I should be back to Mn. around the first of April. Have two guys wanting to look at my Champ on floats I am selling. If you know anyone looking for an LSA compliant 7AC Champ with floats and wheels send them my way. It's got a Lyc. O-235 and on PK1500's.

Ok, back to the regularly scheduled topic.

Thats just what I was hoping to hear and the reason I got the K3 in the first place. I'm 2 miles from the river and 4 from the airport so the river sounds inviting. The only issue I am having is lauching at the public boat ramp. It seems they all have the long posts that stick up on the docks making lauching with wings an issue. I haven't figured that one out yet.

One thing to also take into count on flying from a river though is ...how fast is the current? If it is a slow moving waterway you won't have much issue but if it has any speed to it you...well, it might be an exciting ride!!!