Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: cabin heat

Default Re: cabin heat

Quote Originally Posted by n85ae View Post
    Lost an engine once, and was lucky and made the airport. It completely changed my
    perspective. MIght sound paranoid, but ...

I'm very close to Chicago, but just a few minutes flying can put you over countryside
    where if somebody didn't see you go down, and you should happen to get hurt on landing,
    you could be there for a while. Just sitting injured for a few hours in a plane with no heat
    and light clothing could be enough to kill you in really cold weather.

I also have a couple el-cheapo live preservers I toss in the plane any time I fly along
    the lakeshore as well.

Jeff
    Yes - dress for the worse - take along your survival gear as well.
    I had instances years ago where the Feds gave me crap for pencil entry in logs -- I said dude -- ball points don;t flow well at -40 Chuckles

jeff is absolutely correct , in a matter of minutes a person could be down in something like this . they dont even try to keep the roads open on this side of the mountain in the winter . i carry around 20 lbs of extra gear in a helmet bag strapped in the right seat along with a plb in the map box .
    Attached Images Attached Images
    chuck
    kitfox IV 1050
    912ul warpdrive
    flying B , yelm, wa

I have a heat muff on my exhausts and love it. Actually I have 2 heat muffs. The first is on the down tube just below the elbow, then the main one is on the expansion chamber. Air comes in from a scoop in the front of the cowling, through the first muff on the down tube, then into the main heat muff and into the cabin. I fly at -30F routinely and never had any problems getting cold. That being said, I also fly in my winter snowmachine gear (nothing more than fleece pants and top with a gortex shell over it) and good boots as I fly remote areas and many times in a crash you only have what you are wearing to protect you from the elements.

I can comfortably fly with no gloves at any OAT and have done a couple 2 hrs flights at -30 with the door open when I broke an exhaust spring and the CO detector turned black in a matter if minutes. I just opened the door and continued home as there was really no where for me to safely set it down.

The other 2 planes I flew with the heater core in the plane just didnt move enough air through them to even keep the windows defrosted.