Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch

Thread: Trouble shooting

Default Trouble shooting

I have a Supersport taildragger with a Continental O-200 - trying to trouble shoot oil temp problems. I removed teh wings to bring teh ship back to teh shop - now need to run teh engine but don't want to put the wings back on if possible. Is it acceptable to run the engine without having the wings on (I realize I may need to add weight to the tail temporarily). Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Default Re: Trouble shooting

You should be able to run off fuel in the header tank.

(Putting more fuel in it might be a challenge, though.)
    Av8r3400
    Kitfox Model IV
    The Mangy Fox
    912UL 105hp Zipper
    YouTube Videos

Because the Kitfox does not have a super high cruise speed, forcing cooling air through the oil cooler can be a problem on any air-cooled 4-stroke engine. You should consider a dedicated air pipe from the font cowling to the oil cooler if the oil cooler mounds on the firewall, or even an external scoop on the cowling to route air to the firewall.

Also, a larger or second oil cooler (even below the fuse) might be a consideration if you live in a hot area (like Florida or Arizona).

Roger

Mike, I brought my Series 5 home to do the condition inspection last week. During the process I have had to run the engine several times and I do it with the wings folded , and use the fuel that is left in the header tank to supply the engine. works fine. Without the wings, I would check the tail weight like you said, throw in some chocks and go for it. Where is Guilderland NY? Bruce N199CL

Thanks for the feedback. Much appreciated.
    Guilderland is about 15 miles due west of Albany.

Mike,
    Which airport do you fly out of?
    Dorsal ~~^~~
    Series 7 - Tri-Gear
    912 ULS Warp Drive