Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch

Thread: ADAHRS Install - pitch orientation

Default ADAHRS Install - pitch orientation

I am installing a Dynon Skyview system in my model V - Safari - and dont know what a good reference point is for flight level? I was thinking of using the spar carry thrus but not sure if those are level in flight.

I know that a lot of ADAHRS have been installed in KitFoxes so was looking for suggections in orienting it!

Thanks

Default Re: ADAHRS Install - pitch orientation

The datum for leveling the plane is the bottom of the fuse under the seat. This is where you are supposed to level the plane for your weight and balance so I would count on that as "level" flight attitude if I had to choose. Anything parallel to the bottom tubes under the seat should thus be aligned with "level" flight. The official under the seat datum is not necessarily parallel with the spar carry through tubes.

Where are you going to mount the ADAHRS to avoid the steel tubing effects on the built-in magnetic compass? I know a few people have been installing the Dynon Skyview, but have not heard much about the potential problems or lack of problems with the magnetometer.

Jim

I mounted my remote compass module on the outboard end of the wing. It is enclosed in the wing tip.

I have had no problems with this location.

War Eagle,
    You must be talking about the Dynon D100 or 180. The Skyview does not have a remote compass unfortunately. It is integral with the ADAHRS unit, which I doubt you mounted way out on the wingtip?

Jim

I have mounted the ADAHRS about midway up on the side of the fuse along side the cargo bag. I had originally placed it low behind the seat near the rudder cables and the other moving controls and the general consenus at the avionics shop was that that location was too close to moving metal which would not be good so we moved it up and to the side.

Again this is on a Series 5.

Am probably two months (at least) away from flying so do not have any real world experience with the location.

Have powered up the panel and am impressed with the Dynon Skyview so far!

I have the KF5 and placed it directly under the seat, I first checked with a standard compass to make sure there was no metal interference and it works great there.
    BigJohn
    Kitfox 5 Outback
    Rotax 912ULS With 1622cc Big Torque Zipper Conversion

Youtube BigJohn655
    https://www.youtube.com/user/BigJohn655

SPOT LINK:
    http://share.findmespot.com/shared/f...OgrFSDFu8qvG6Q

Default Re: ADAHRS Install - remote compass

Thanks for the comments so far. This can be a big deal so I have heard; some guys have had trouble, others have not. For me it is a big important decision whether to go with the Skyview or the D180 Flightdek. The Skyview is a much newer product but has this potential compass problem in a steel tube frame Kitfox. Keep the responses coming, especially for those who have installed the Skyview in a model 7. I hope that John at the factory will chime in; surely they have installed some more Skyviews in their LSA's.

Jim

This is an issue with the Dynon SkyView units.

The only location we have success mounting the ADAHRS is suspended behind the baggage area on the SS. If you are going to utilize the extended baggage capabilities then this would not be an option.

Dynon chose to incorporate the magnetometer in the ADHRS and that makes it difficult to mount it as close as possible to the longitudinal centerline and away from meltal. In the D100 series and the Advanced Flight Systems equipment the magetometer can be remoted out to the wing tip and that works great. Dynon is looking at allowing the ADHRS to be mounted about anywhere and then using software to mathematically move it to the centerline. While they are confident this will be an effective fix... only time will tell. Last time I talked with them it is not very close on the priority list.

We are distributors for Dynon and Advanced FLight Systems... and have installed several of the SkyViews, earlier D100 series and Advanced Flight Systems 4500 and currently 5500. Give us a call Jim....
    John McBean
    www.kitfoxaircraft.com

"The Sky is not the Limit... It's a Playground"