Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch

Thread: left turning tendencies

Default left turning tendencies

My model IV has a pretty heavy right rudder to fly straight.
    I figured the left wing was a little slow so I took one turn out of the forward strut turnbuckle and added one to the rear. This "washout" adjustment did nothing.
    It seemed like it was about 1/16 of an inch on the threaded portion in total adjustment which I thought would yield some change, but ... nope. Do I just need to suck it up and put in a trim tab on the rudder?
    anyone got a IV that flys strait hands off?

Default Re: left turning tendencies

yes with the trim tab installed. hahahahha
    steve
    slyfox
    model IV 1200-flying
    912uls
    IVO medium in-flight
    RV7A-flying
    IO-360
    constant speed prop

Yes but I sold it. Actually when new, mine had just a bit right wing heavy. During test phase my tech counselor adjusted it and removed most. I remember him adjusting the right wing struts just a little bit.

DesertFox4
    Admin.
    7 Super Sport
    912 ULS Tri-gear

On one Avid Flyer I bought, I noticed it was quite wing heavy on the left on first flights. I used a 4' level to check the wash out in the wings. The left one was about 1 1/4" less then the right wing. Adjusted the washout till it was even on both sides and then there was no heavy wing. On the Avid, you have only one place to adjust. Left rear lift strut. I would check with a level on adjust some more if needed. Make sure you aren't getting to close to the end of the threads though if you are adjusting it out to be longer. JImChuk

PS should have read the first post a bit better. Nothing wrong with a trim tab on the rudder if it needs it, I think.
    Last edited by avidflyer; 11-12-2018 at 05:51 PM.

guys he is talking about the rudder. very common. I have a wedge on the right side of my rudder. I have a slight, very slight heavy left wing. I ain't going to bother with that.
    steve
    slyfox
    model IV 1200-flying
    912uls
    IVO medium in-flight
    RV7A-flying
    IO-360
    constant speed prop