Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch

Thread: Underseat Storage Instructions

Default Underseat Storage Instructions

My SS7 kit came with the underseat bins molded into the seat pan but I can find no instructions on the construction of the lids/hinges. I remember seeing a couple of pieces of clear polycarbonate for the lids but they seem a bit flimsy to be sitting on. Anybody know what I'm missing here? Thanks.

Default Re: Underseat Storage Instructions

The lids should be made of fiberglass, just like the seat (only not as thick). Mine came sized and with rounded corners. The clear polycarbonate should be for the aft windows behind the seat. \

Dick B

Quote Originally Posted by szicree View Post
    My SS7 kit came with the underseat bins molded into the seat pan but I can find no instructions on the construction of the lids/hinges. I remember seeing a couple of pieces of clear polycarbonate for the lids but they seem a bit flimsy to be sitting on. Anybody know what I'm missing here? Thanks.
    You get the support strength by riveting Aluminum around perimeter.
    http://azshowersolutions.com/ToolBoxes.html

Dan
    Dan B
    Mesa, AZ

I appreciate the replies guys. Do you recall where in the manual the subject appears?

I used aluminum sheet for mine with holes cut to lighten seems to work can get a photo if you want
    Dave Holl
    Building Kitfox MK7
    Rotax 912ULS

In the SS7 kit there are two pieces of polycarbonate for the seat lids. There are two other pieces for the rear quarter windows. There are no instructions in the manual on how to attach the lids; it is your option according to the factory. I do believe the polycarb they give you is strong enough to sit on; that is what they use on the factory SLSA. You have another thick layer of upholstery between you and the lid. There is a 1" overlap with the seat pan recess all around so I think no extra metal frame for the lid is necessary.

I bought some light aluminum piano hinge from ACS and riveted it onto the rear edge of the lid and seat pan. It works well.

Jim

I installed the seat storage lids with a piano hinge. I found a light weight hinge at the big box store. It did a great job of stiffening the lid. I think you could stand on what was once a flimsy cover. No other bracing was required. I've sat on it several times without a cushion and it barely flexes.

I riveted the piano hinge to the lid for a near flush fit to avoid hardware interference between the seat pan and the lid. I used 8-32 screws/nuts/washers to attach the hinge to the pan.

John

This thread is motivating me to finish one of the things I left "till later" which is now two years ago.
    Dorsal ~~^~~
    Series 7 - Tri-Gear
    912 ULS Warp Drive