Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Newbie from Seattle (with all the usual questions)

Default Newbie from Seattle (with all the usual questions)

Hi guys-

Something happened to me that I cant quite figure out. For some odd reason, I have stong desire in life to build an airplane. My biggest problem is....That desire wont go away. It makes no sence, both logical or finanacial yet it is something I believe I would like to persue.
    In my quest for fire I decided the best approach is to go out and beat the brush by talking to the folks that have boldly gone before me. I recently had the opportunity to take a ride in someone's RV-7. It was a great experience both on and off the ground. This guy didnt know me from adam and invited me up to his hangar. He showed me around his tools, some of the skills it took to build the RV, and then introduced me to a barrel roll. The RV line up is wonderful, but I dont think that is what I am looking for. I have been looking at the Highlander and the "dead Stick" videos on youtube. I have also been looking at the ugly ardvark (ch750), and yes the kitfox. I would want something that is STOHL and so far the kit is not looking like it would workout for short off airport ops??? Other things I would be interested in would be folding wings for self storage, and the ability to go from float plane to tail dragger and perhaps tricycle. I must be honest and tell you all, I dont know the first thing about building an airplane be it aluminum, or fabric.

I would love to hear insights from you builders on your build experience, why you chose the way you did, and whatever else you would be willing to share.

Also, if someone knows where I could see one of these planes in person?

Thank you in advance.

Default Re: Newbie from Seattle (with all the usual questions)

Quote Originally Posted by Flienlow View Post
    Hi guys-
    Also, if someone knows where I could see one of these planes in person?
    Just like your RV introduction, I would be happy to show you around the Kitfox. I have a fairly new Series 7 based in Auburn. Let me know if you would like to meet up some weekend and check it out.
    Andy Karmy
    Kitfox 7 - 912S - SOLD
    Auburn, WA

http://kitfoxflying.com

Absolutely! PM Sent!

Here is what sold me on Kitfox:
    • Brand new plane for the same price as a very used certified aircraft.
    • Folding wings so I can share hanger space.
    • Kit quality and aircraft performance.
    • Factory support.
    • Test flight was awsome.
    • STOL capabilities.
    • No welding and nearly no solid riveting.
    • Rotax 912s engine reputation and fuel economy-about half the burn rate at cruise compared to most certified Cessnas, Pipers, etc. and the ability to use auto fuel.
    • Build manual is the best out there.
    • A factory visit impressed me with their organization, neatness, cleanliness, fixtures. A class outfit.
    • Side by side seating.
    • Useful load capacity.
    • A long successful and safe history. 3500+ planes built and flying I beleive.
    • A very beautiful and pleasing to the eye airplane. Just look at some of the slab sided, breadbox looking competitors out there.
    • No, I am not a salesman for the McBeans.
    Jim

I believe the Kitfox series is second only to the RV series in number of homebuilts built and flying. Don't know the other aircrafts you mentioned, numbers but sure they are not anywhere near Kitfox numbers. I currently fly a RV-9A and enjoy flying it. But as far as fun it doesn't compare to my Kitfox 5. I hope to get it back in the air someday. You can't go wrong with a Kitfox, IMHO.
    David E.
    Woodstock, Georgia
    N97DE S5 TD Flying

N97KE RV-9A Sold
    N96KE RV10 Sold
    Rans S21 Helping Brother Build (Selling)
    Vans RV-14A (On Order)

I had been looking at kit planes for a long time and what sold me on building a Kitfox was the video Skystar had on the net at the time. All of the company's had specs for their planes but air speed or 3.6 positive g's or 1.6 negative just wasn't registering in my brain. Then, I saw the Kitfox. The video showed a Kitfox doing aerobatics to Aerosmiths Sweet Emotion. As the words played and the plane went from a loop straight into a three turn spin I knew that was the plane I would build. It's almost done and I am so glad that I too will be able to say "why yes, I did build that".

Quote Originally Posted by 896tr View Post
    I had been looking at kit planes for a long time and what sold me on building a Kitfox was the video Skystar had on the net at the time. All of the company's had specs for their planes but air speed or 3.6 positive g's or 1.6 negative just wasn't registering in my brain. Then, I saw the Kitfox. The video showed a Kitfox doing aerobatics to Aerosmiths Sweet Emotion. As the words played and the plane went from a loop straight into a three turn spin I knew that was the plane I would build. It's almost done and I am so glad that I too will be able to say "why yes, I did build that".
    The more I get to looking at this plane, the more I get to liking it it. I am starting to fall in love with that radial engine, but I imagine that would be very pricey. How long (in years) does it take to complete, and what is the hardest part about building one?

I think the hardest part is finding the time to get it built, especially if you are still working. IMHO
    Stan Inzer
    912 ULS
    Dynon Skyview 10"
    N599KF

Quote Originally Posted by Flienlow View Post
    The more I get to looking at this plane, the more I get to liking it it. I am starting to fall in love with that radial engine, but I imagine that would be very pricey. How long (in years) does it take to complete, and what is the hardest part about building one?
    When I was considering buying my kit I asked John Mcbean that and he said he didn't like quoting times since ever one was different but figure on 800-1200 hours depending on your quick build options. So if you could work on it 20 hours a week it would take you roughly a year. As far as the radial engine, buying the engine you like right off the bat is cheaper than buy 2 and 2 firewall forward kits.

I doubt the radial engine will mesh with your STOL goals. No alternative engine in practice has ever matched the light weight and performance you will get with a Rotax. Some airplanes look great on the ground, some fly great. It is definitely a personal choice there. Regarding building, One of the factors in build time is always the complexity you choose. If you build strictly according to the book, the build time will be shorter. If you decide you need "cup holders" or custom fiberglass wing root fairings, the build time will be longer. This is one of the big variables. That is one of my problems. The basic structure is factory, but I have numerous custom modifications on my project. Most are either for weight reduction or drag reduction - trying to approach the Highlander STOL performance while enhancing the Kitfox cruise performance.
    Lowell