Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Oil Change 912

Default Oil Change 912

I just finished my third 30 hour oil change this year on my 912. I hereby file a formal complaint against Rotax for their oil system. They need to hire an engineer from Ford to design an oil system where after changing oil you are not required to take a bath. Wow, that's a terrible job.

Gotta head home now and change the 12 quarts of oil in my Dodge Commins pick up truck!
    Steve Wilson
    Huntsville, UT
    Kitfox 85DD
    912A / 3 Blade Taper Tip Warp Drive
    Convertible Nosewheel & Tailwheel
    SkySteve's SPOT Page
    SkySteve's You Tube Videos

Default Re: Oil Change 912

That's funny and I can relate. I did however just do my 6th oil change including cleaning the tank and managed not to get a drop on me or the floor (got a system now).
    Dorsal ~~^~~
    Series 7 - Tri-Gear
    912 ULS Warp Drive

A system? You've got a system that keeps oil off you, your plane and the hangar floor? Tell me, tell me please! Maybe if I used your system I would have more time to fly. Then I would need more oil changes!
    Steve Wilson
    Huntsville, UT
    Kitfox 85DD
    SkySteve's SPOT Page

I sympathize Steve. The more you fly the more you change oil. BTW, I'm on my 30th oil change. You'll get much better at it.

DesertFox4
    Admin.
    7 Super Sport
    912 ULS Tri-gear

30th? I'll never live that long.
    Steve Wilson
    Huntsville, UT
    Kitfox 85DD
    SkySteve's SPOT Page

Steve,
    Try this. Get a metal gas can two gallons or so. Attach a vacuum line to it from a vacuum pump. An old compressor from a defunct refrigerator or freezer works great. Attach a length of tubing with a foot or so if 1/4" metal tube on the end - I used a carbon fiber arrow blank. Run the engine to get it up to temp, remove the filler cap and dip stick and insert the tube and suck out the oil. I also made a device that clamped to the exhaust pipe and ran under the oil filter that acted like a gutter, so when I removed the oil filter, it captured all the leaking oil and ran it down a channel to a container. Never a drop. Then with the converted gas can, it is easy to extend the neck and transfer the oil to the recycle container.

Quote Originally Posted by HighWing View Post
    Steve,
    Try this. Get a metal gas can two gallons or so. Attach a vacuum line to it from a vacuum pump. An old compressor from a defunct refrigerator or freezer works great. Attach a length of tubing with a foot or so if 1/4" metal tube on the end - I used a carbon fiber arrow blank. Run the engine to get it up to temp, remove the filler cap and dip stick and insert the tube and suck out the oil. I also made a device that clamped to the exhaust pipe and ran under the oil filter that acted like a gutter, so when I removed the oil filter, it captured all the leaking oil and ran it down a channel to a container. Never a drop. Then with the converted gas can, it is easy to extend the neck and transfer the oil to the recycle container.
    Lowell, That is a great tip. I now look forward to my first oil change
    Dan B
    Mesa, AZ

I don't know, those old 7.3L powerstroke diesels that Ford had were a PAIN to do an oil change on, and that was in a full sized bay with a pit - I swear the filters (which held something like 1.6L of oil by themselves) weighed close to ten pounds and were quite awkward to remove, not mention had a tendency to fall towards you! Chevy had a -really- nice system for their trucks though

Did I say Ford? I must have meant Chevy.

Lowel, I like your idea of building an oil vacuum. So you don't remove the tank screen and bottom plate and don't wipe out the tank bottom? Do you remove the bottom engine drain plug and how about the dirty oil in the oil cooler?
    Steve Wilson
    Huntsville, UT
    Kitfox 85DD
    SkySteve's SPOT Page

here is what I do. I turn the prop over until it burps. I remove the lid off my oil tank. I put about 3 rags right at the middle of the engine. Set the lid on those rags. I take a suck gun and suck out all the oil. I also set my screen in a flat pan on the floor. I suck out the oil and put it in a 1gal jug. than I'll take a rag and wipe out the tank, I use those blue rags you buy at costco or a parts store. Than I take the filter off, it drains into the flat pan on the floor. I take new oil and fill the new filter, sometimes takes a couple tries, soaks in. Than I take new oil and fill the oil tank to the level it was before, about 2 inches from the top. Than I put the screen in and put the lid back on. I now take the filter and put that on, I have the drain pan under it still any drips go in there. I'm done, I don't take any lines off, why, you only get about half a cup or less anyway. big deal. I jump in the plane and turn it over with the mags off, up comes the pressure. I'm done. That easy. No mess. than I take the plane out of the hangar and run it, than recheck the level.