Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch

Thread: Thoughts on a partially built Model IV 1050

Default Thoughts on a partially built Model IV 1050

First of all, I should start off by saying that I am a LONG time lurker on the fringes of the Kitfox world. I grew up around experimental aviation (although I've only flown certified airplanes) and read through more EAA magazines as a kid than I could count. My flying experience has all been in rented certified airplanes / gliders, so I haven't dived very deep into the maintenance side of airplanes, but I love building model airplanes (plastic display and RC balsa/foam scratch builds), woodworking, and working on our cars (I don't really "love" working on the house, but hey, it's still satisfying to step back from a repair that works well).

Years ago (2009 - 2013) I attended Oshkosh three times and I checked out all the new and exciting airplanes back before I could afford any of them. I liked the combination of price, kit quality, and number of kits sold of the Kitfox company -- and they let me sit in their airplanes a bunch of times! So did all the other vendors, but I remember thinking to myself that I could see myself building a Kitfox someday. However, I've never actually flown one, so that might be something I want to do before I really commit.

Anyway, I see half done kits that pop up and stick around for a while, usually for much cheaper than the cost of a kit. I know that not everyone's workmanship is the same and that there may be some rework to do, so you definitely need to know what to look over when considering a partially built kit. Money is still a little tight for owning and operating an airplane (especially when hangars cost ~$500/mo where I'm at), but I'm at a place where my wife and I can start entertaining the idea of owning something with wings.

With all of that said, I was wondering if anyone on the forums knows anything about this kit:
    https://www.barnstormers.com/classif...Rotax+912.html
    It doesn't have the useful load of some of the later models, but I'm an FAA average person -- not the US average! It also has a Rotax 912UL, which is the engine I would prefer anyway, although the serial number is pretty old (600 hr TBO?). One of the bonuses is that it is relatively close to where I live and the transportation costs to get it home would be minimal.

Is it common to ask a local A&P to do a pre-buy inspection of a kit before purchase, especially one that is as far along as this one?

Thanks!

Default Re: Thoughts on a partially built Model IV 1050

Common or not, Just Ask one to do it. The Kitfox is not difficult to give a good look over. Its your money on the line, if you don't feel you can do it get an A&P. Wise decision IMO.
    Eddie Forward
    Flying
    SS7, 912iS, Garmin G3X