Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch

Thread: Airmaster Propeller Installation

Cupar, SK, Canada CLC4 Loon Creek Airfield

Default Airmaster Propeller Installation

Hi Everyone,

I will be installing an Airmaster controller and switch into my existing panel in the near future.

I am looking for comments on where you mounted the controller and switch.

Pictures of course welcome

As well as any regrets of location of where you mounted the switch or controller?

Also, how did you, can you make a nice hole for the switch in an existing painted panel?

Attached is a picture of my panel with my thoughts at the moment for locations.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Kevin,

Kitfox Outback
    912 ULS
    Airmaster AP332CTFH-WWR70W
    Summit Aircraft Wheel Skis
    C-FOXW

Default Re: Airmaster Propeller Installation

Hey Kevin, mines not flying yet but I so far have no regrets where I put mine. Basically it’s in finger reach of my throttle but I’m sure your spot will be fine. I didn’t cut into an existing panel but I think due to the switch being rear mounted you will want to get a very nice hole. I really think the only way to do that is drill some small holes all the way around the perimeter just inside your line then a hole in the centre big enough to get a flat file in and start filing to your line. You’ll want a round file for the corners.

I’m just thinking out loud. Someone probably has a better idea.

Edit. Just looking at it again maybe the best spot is location 2 so if you run manual you can have your finger on it while having your hand on the throttle. Might be easier to take that small piece off and cut it on the bench.
    ------------------
    Josh Esser
    Flying SS7
    Rotax 914iS
    AirMaster Prop

Edmonton, AB, CWL3

Hey Kevin
    That Regina Fire Department must be over paying you guys. Good on you getting the "grand daddy" of all props!
    You will probably run it on constant speed most of the time so switch location is not as important as IFA. With my IVO IFA I have the switch mounted horizontally at location 2. Very convenient to toggle with one finger with hand on the throttle shaft.
    I see you have a vernier throttle as well. WOW all the modcons.
    Have fun with all your toys
    Cheers
    Don

What switch are you talking about? I just thought you'd mount the controller in place of your tacho (Mmmmmm tacos) and that's it. You've got auto and manual control through the controller, so why mount another switch to do the same thing? It's not like there's ever a desperate need to change the pitch immediately.

I assume this is the controller you're talking about:
    Attached Images Attached Images

Yes, that is the controller. It will be going into where the tach is.

There is another, separate toggle switch, that changes the rpm/pitch in the hold position and can change pitch if the controller fails and you select manual mode.
    Last edited by kmach; 03-28-2018 at 07:03 PM.
    Kevin,

Kitfox Outback
    912 ULS
    C-FOXW

Quote Originally Posted by Esser View Post
    Hey Kevin, mines not flying yet but I so far have no regrets where I put mine. Basically it’s in finger reach of my throttle.....

I’m just thinking out loud. Someone probably has a better idea.

Edit. Just looking at it again maybe the best spot is location 2 so if you run manual you can have your finger on it while having your hand on the throttle. Might be easier to take that small piece off and cut it on the bench.
    I am leaning towards position 2. I made that bracket in the picture for the IvoProp IFA switch and the McFarlane throttle, less risk than cutting into the painted panel and switch can be activated just like the Ivo one, while your hand is on the throttle.
    Kevin,

Kitfox Outback
    912 ULS
    C-FOXW

HI Keven,

I installed the controller to the right of centre of the panel - it is one of three controllers from top to bottom - MGL radio, Airmaster controller, Transponder - all the same size. The manual pitch controller that you refer to is installed closer to my pilots position as I wanted to separate it from the controller to make sure I have to think about using it - which I do every run up. I have about 400 hrs using it now. The practical reality is that you need to be able to reach the controller and manual adjustment but it is not a vital 'visual' piece of gear - as long as you can see the dial and reach it, then t is functional. I wouldn't afford it a more prime 'visual' spot on the panel that should be for engine and flight instruments.

the final decision will be determined by the type of primary instruments and navigation displays - and the priority you afford to each.

I have pics on my build thread if interested.

cheers

r
    Ross
    Mt Beauty, Vic
    OZ
    Sold to Richard and Scott Taubman in OZ, 2019. Kitfox SS7,Rotax 912is Sport, Airmaster CSP 75" blades.
    Landcruiser and Cub off road camper (doesn't get any kudos on this forum!)