Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch

Thread: More Noob Questions

Default More Noob Questions

Please bare with me for all the questions as I want to glean as much information and advice as I can by those who have gone before me.

1. What are some unforeseen issues, costs, and or problems have you encounterd with your airplane build?

2. Did you exceed your initial budget, or remain relatively close?

3. What would you do different if you had to do it over again?

4. During the interum period before purchase, or while waiting for order to be built; what are some beneficial actions.. Sourcing parts, skills ect..?

5. How much money on hand should one really have to get started?

6. How much space do you really need to build your airplane?

7. Any disappointments?

Thank you in advance for your time.

Default Re: More Noob Questions

1. What are some unforeseen issues, costs, and or problems have you encountered with your airplane build?
    [I didn’t expect my airport bum friends wanting to work on it with me. It’s fun for everyone.]

[I’m way under budget. Instead of a gee whiz glass panel, I elected to go with steam gauges and most of them were donated by airplane owners who upgraded to something else. Even the radio and transponder were free. But then again… I’m a scrounger and not afraid to ask.]

[I covered the stab and elevator first, followed by the wings. Then panic set in not knowing if I would have enough fabric to do the fuselage. It turns out there was plenty. If I did it over I would start with the fuselage, then do the wings, then the stab and elevator with the left over pieces for the best use of fabric.]

4. During the interim period before purchase, or while waiting for order to be built; what are some beneficial actions.. Sourcing parts, skills ect..?
    [If you haven’t done covering before, take a course… Sportair workshop or Oshkosh Airventure forum (free) as a minimum.] Worth every dime.

[All of it… two reasons. First: so you don’t have to explain to the spousal unit why the checking account got raided for something called Poly Brush and Poly Spray. Second: so you know you have funds to complete the project before you start. I opened a special checking account, PayPal and Mastercard just for the airplane. That way I know where every dollar went.]

[A two car garage, minimum. Some have done it with less but they suck in their gut a lot squeezing around the airframe. It’s not too bad until you build wings. Then space becomes a premium. Once you start to cover, the aircraft seems to double in size.]

7. Any disappointments?
    [Nope.]

John

1. What are some unforeseen issues, costs, and or problems have you encounterd with your airplane build?
    --I built in the basement of my house (has an external garage door), building a good enough plastic "stink wall" and managing airflow to avoid fumes in the house while painting was a challenge.

--didn't set one, didn't track it, don't know exactly what my plane cost.

--Finish more of the details before flying, all the things that I put off (such as wheel pants) to "get it flying first" are still not done.

4. During the interum period before purchase, or while waiting for order to be built; what are some beneficial actions.. Sourcing parts, skills ect..?
    --Ditto what John said, I did not take a course but if I had it would have allayed any concerns I had as to the difficulty of covering. I did watch a few instructional videos and buy a practice kit from Stits.

--Don't have an answer to that but if you are like most it will take several years to complete and the initial kit will keep you plenty busy for a while. I recommend putting off buying the techie bits as long as possible especially if you go with a glass panel.

--I worked in a one car space which I found very comfortable IF you have storage elsewhere for the wings or fuselage while working on the other.

7. Any disappointments?
    --I miss building, no disappointments in the plane.
    Dorsal ~~^~~
    Series 7 - Tri-Gear
    912 ULS Warp Drive

Quote Originally Posted by jtpitkin06 View Post
    1. What are some unforeseen issues, costs, and or problems have you encountered with your airplane build?
    [I didn’t expect my airport bum friends wanting to work on it with me. It’s fun for everyone.]

[I’m way under budget. Instead of a gee whiz glass panel, I elected to go with steam gauges and most of them were donated by airplane owners who upgraded to something else. Even the radio and transponder were free. But then again… I’m a scrounger and not afraid to ask.]

[I covered the stab and elevator first, followed by the wings. Then panic set in not knowing if I would have enough fabric to do the fuselage. It turns out there was plenty. If I did it over I would start with the fuselage, then do the wings, then the stab and elevator with the left over pieces for the best use of fabric.]

4. During the interim period before purchase, or while waiting for order to be built; what are some beneficial actions.. Sourcing parts, skills ect..?
    [If you haven’t done covering before, take a course… Sportair workshop or Oshkosh Airventure forum (free) as a minimum.] Worth every dime.

[All of it… two reasons. First: so you don’t have to explain to the spousal unit why the checking account got raided for something called Poly Brush and Poly Spray. Second: so you know you have funds to complete the project before you start. I opened a special checking account, PayPal and Mastercard just for the airplane. That way I know where every dollar went.]

[A two car garage, minimum. Some have done it with less but they suck in their gut a lot squeezing around the airframe. It’s not too bad until you build wings. Then space becomes a premium. Once you start to cover, the aircraft seems to double in size.]

7. Any disappointments?
    [Nope.]

John

John are you still going with a Corvair conversion?

Quote Originally Posted by Flienlow View Post
    John are you still going with a Corvair conversion?
    Yes. Building my Corvair conversion was a really fun educational experience. The Corvair Colleges offered by William Wynne are a unique activity in aviation. For those unfamiliar with the colleges, they are a three day marathon group build session. There are usually 75 to 100 builders assembling engines and running them on a test stand.

When my SS7 is completed I'll publish all the information, weight and balance, performance, etc. for everyone to see.

JP

Quote Originally Posted by jtpitkin06 View Post
    Yes. Building my Corvair conversion was a really fun educational experience. The Corvair Colleges offered by William Wynne are a unique activity in aviation. For those unfamiliar with the colleges, they are a three day marathon group build session. There are usually 75 to 100 builders assembling engines and running them on a test stand.

When my SS7 is completed I'll publish all the information, weight and balance, performance, etc. for everyone to see.

JP
    Did you get my PM?