Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Newbie from Seattle (with all the usual questions)

Default Re: Newbie from Seattle (with all the usual questions)

One of the common complaints of my friends whose grass strips I fly into is my plane (912UL) is so quiet they don't know I've arrived until I knock on their door... The last complaint anyone will ever make about a 912 is that it's noisy.
    Av8r3400
    Kitfox Model IV
    The Mangy Fox
    912UL 105hp Zipper
    YouTube Videos

I think the factory's advice to buy the engine later is really good advice.

And if you just can't swing a new 912, take the time while you are building to shop around for a good deal on a used one. I have a bunch of friends that have bought used 912's and have been real happy with them. And fwiw, you can upgrade a 80 hp 912 to a 115 hp 914 for about 9 grand, or make it a 92+ hp version with a thousand dollar high-compression piston kit. I also seem to recall someone (might have been either one of the guys on this forum, or maybe on the Highlander forum?) that recently bought a reconditioned 100 hp 912S from Lockwood for $11,500. So I'm absolutely convinced you can find a used 912 for the same or less than you can buy even the lowest priced 912 alternatives like the Corvair or Viking. And even if you decide to upgrade the 912 after buying it, you will still end up with a nice engine for a low price. Plus you have an engine and an airplane that is very easy to sell should you ever decide to part with it. (I have a spare 200 hr used 912s that I damn near have to guard ).

And if you intend to fly amphib floats as you mentioned, using a 912 is especially important. I've seen a lot of amphib LSA type aircraft over the years, and aside from a handful of expensive examples (like a Carbon Cub with a 180 hp engine and virtually no useful load), the only good performing LSA type amphibs were all 912 powered. When you strap a set of 230+ pound floats on the bottom of a light aircraft, you need the rest of the airplane to be as light as possible while still having a lot of power. And it really is all about weight because you will need a much higher than average horsepower to weight ratio, and a much lower than average wing loading. So the lighter the airplane the better both of those numbers will look. And actually horsepower is really not the term to use. It should be thrust per pound. And since that is where a 912 really excels, and because it's slow turning prop is ultra efficient, it is like it was built to be on a float plane. In addition, the 912's low fuel burn also helps immensely, as not having to carry a bunch of fuel around improves your payload and range.

I can understand anyone not liking the new 912 prices, but in order to be fair you need to compare a NEW aircraft engine to the price of the 912. If you do that with a Lycoming or Continental the Rotax looks like a pretty good deal. The auto or marine conversions made by other manufacturers are not NEW components. They typically use existing engine components. I believe Viking is using a used Honda engine, and the Corvairs are using engine components that haven't been made since the 60's. I'm not knocking those engine options, but you have to compare apples to apples to be fair about making comparisons.

I like most other 912 Kitfox owners like my 912 very much. I find it a VERY efficient engine that works EXCEPTIONALLY well in my Kitfox. So when you get to that point, I would strongly recommend the 912 Rotax. Especially if you ultimately plan to fly off the water, as it is more critical in that mode than any other use I can think of putting an aircraft through.

Oh, and on building an airplane; Building an airplane can appear to be an overhwhelming task when you look at the whole project. The secret is to embrace the project as one of enjoyment, and thinking of it as a series of small projects rather than one enormous project. And the day you finish it and get to take your creation into the sky, you will remember that for the rest of your life. It's probably hard to feel more accomplished.

I think my wife decribes it best;

"For a man to see the airplane he built fly for the first time has to be the closest thing to a man giving birth".

I laughed when she first told me that. But after watching a few buddies since fly their airplanes for the first time, I think she hit the nail on the head....

Quote Originally Posted by av8rps View Post

"For a man to see the airplane he built fly for the first time has to be the closest thing to a man giving birth".

I laughed when she first told me that. But after watching a few buddies since fly their airplanes for the first time, I think she hit the nail on the head....
    AV8r,
    That's funny you mention that...I just made a Face Book post indicating my first oil change and fuel filter change. Said I knew it was an infant plane cuz when I changed the filters, it peed on me.
    Dan
    Dan B
    Mesa, AZ

See....now this type of thread is why most of us joined this forum....great information/insight, readable comradery (sp?), and a touch of humor! Great posting "av8rps"...keep it up folks....lovin' it!
    Chris Holaday
    Looking at the Model 5 or newer for size!

Well I finally got to sit in one tonight!! Here it is (now a tricycle gear)
    http://www.kitfoxaircraft.com/images...ry%20(48).html
    (Thank you Greg for showing me your plane!!!)

I found it to be very comfy with the exception of my shoulder up against the door frame. The Wings are far wider than I thought they would be, the tail is far higher and the elevator sits higher than I thought too. I'm a little nervous this wont fit in my garage for building.

Well Flienlow, I was also excited about the take it home idea until I measured my garage. 18 feet deep. Now I am looking for a new home.
    Stan Inzer
    912 ULS
    Dynon Skyview 10"
    N599KF

Quote Originally Posted by Flienlow View Post
    Well I finally got to sit in one tonight!! Here it is (now a tricycle gear)
    http://www.kitfoxaircraft.com/images...ry%20(48).html
    (Thank you Greg for showing me your plane!!!)

I found it to be very comfy with the exception of my shoulder up against the door frame. The Wings are far wider than I thought they would be, the tail is far higher and the elevator sits higher than I thought too. I'm a little nervous this wont fit in my garage for building.
    This will not be an issue during the build, the wings and the fuselage are built separately. For me even after I put the landing gear on (which is quite late in the build) I only needed to put the nose wheel on a 6" block to keep the tail low enough in my shop. Glad you got to check out a plane, I found the Kitfox very fun to build an even more fun to fly
    Dorsal ~~^~~
    Series 7 - Tri-Gear
    912 ULS Warp Drive

Flying in one will be my next horizon. I still have other planes to check out, and it would appear there are still a few more beer bottles to throw back and forth with the war department (a trip to Disneyland buys alot at these days though.) It seems there is just so much to choose from these day. I was amazed to see a kitfox video where a guy has a 2-cylinder engine that is getting floats off the water. This is a cool plane!