Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Looking for a S5 or newer near CA...

Default Looking for a S5 or newer near CA...

I'm in the process of doing my my ground school work at home and buying a S5 or newer trike, already built, for getting my Sport Pilot License.

What I am most interested in is how I will fit in the cabin, being 6'5" and 250 #'s in a Kit Fox.,

If there is anyone local, or say within 400 miles of Santa Clarita ,CA area that I could drive to or go visit for a seat in a Kitfox to see how I fit, it would be greatly appreciated, as I want to test for my pilots license in my own plane, not some poorly maintained rental.

I live very close to both KVNY and KWHP, and I'm retired, if you would happen to be in the area, sometime, I could meet you there. Me driving to your local airport is also an option.

If anyone has any ideas, feel free to PM me or post here.

Randy

Default Re: Looking for a S5 or newer near CA...

Hi Randy
    My 7SS is at Chino airport. 951-two one two-5606. Hasn't flown yet. My Tech Counselor/DAR and I will be weighing it Saturday morning Dec. 8. If you are inclined we will be there. Well within 400 miles.
    Eddie Forward
    Flying
    SS7, 912iS, Garmin G3X

Sounds good, weather and rain permitting...

Well,

I am getting discouraged with this whole new LSA class of plane.

Being 6' 5", I tried to fit in efwd's SS 7 today..... No dice, I am not limber enough or small enough to fit, short of moving the whole seat back a good 3 or 4" so my legs can get access.

I did fit myself in a Sling2, and my knees were right up against the dash.

I guess the pilots of these LSA's have different dimensions than I do. I know I fit into German sedans just fine, between a Touareg, a Passat and even a little tiny VW e-Golf all electric 4 door compact car, that I own.

Any suggestions on something that is LSA that I will fit in comfortably, and that I can easily get in and out of too? Or am I doomed to fail in a LSA category aircraft?

What to do? Suggestions from the bigger taller 6'5" or larger pilots and passengers out there?

efwd's 7SS looks spectacular... very, very nicely done, LED's in the front tips of the wings, the weight balance left and right was perfect, I think he came out at around 806 pounds. Gorgeous interior and dash, state of the art, the console too. Nice full Grove landing gear and brakes package, too! Drooling, midlife crisis is looking ready to rock and roll, shortly.

Thanks Ed, for helping me out with this.

Randy
    Last edited by NinerBikes; 12-08-2018 at 04:04 PM.

I’m surprised. I’m 6’3 (but quite thin) and fit no problem. I didn’t think 2” would make it a deal breaker.
    ------------------
    Josh Esser
    Flying SS7
    Rotax 914iS
    AirMaster Prop

Edmonton, AB, CWL3

Try a Just Aircraft Highlander or Super Stol. I once saw a huge man get in it with the designer and go flying together just fine. The big guy thought initially it would have to be modified for only one seat, but was pleasantly surprised when he fit with another adult.

I think the Just Aircraft models have much larger cabins than any of the Rans models. And having seats that slide back provides gobs of legroom. I have a Highlander as well as a Kitfox. They are from similar lineage / design, but the Highlander cabin is huge by comparison (almost too huge for me at 6 ft and 190 lbs). . So find one of those to try on. I think you will be pleasantly surprised.

They have a forum at www.wingsforum.com if you want to find someone in your area.

Randy, how much do you weigh, and was that a factor? I’m 6’6” and 215 lbs. I have yet to try on a Kitfox but I did have my heart set on a trip out to stick and rudder in ID. May need to find one to try on in Virginia.

Quote Originally Posted by Charliebravo View Post
    Randy, how much do you weigh...
    60 yrs old, a little stiff, 6'5" and 250 to 260#'s depending on if I am in winter coat mode or not. Most of my height is in my legs, 36" inseam.

Don't fit in Japanese cars too well, always fit in German cars well, mainly because Germans and Dutch are some of the tallest nationalities around, so they build cars to fit that demographic.

You may be more flexible than me, it just seemed that with his setup and the pedals, getting my knees stuffed into my chin seemed to be a bugger and problematic for entrance. Perhaps a longer door? Or a 3 to 4" longer access opening to the side would do it, or seats more aft, although that would really screw with where your weight sits under the wings and the CG balance.

Thanks. 37" in seam here. Sounds like getting in and out is the issue. Once seated you were ok. There may be hope me

Door length is part of it, front to rear, just really tight, and , getting around the joystick.

I don't have any of these problems getting in and out of cars, well except maybe a corvette, too low to the ground, but the door on a corvette is plenty long enough to get my legs in, as it is on almost any 2 door coupe.

Interested in seeing how you get in and out of a SS7, let us know how it goes. How old are you? Age might be a factor also.