Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tire Choice

Question Tire Choice

I have a kit on order and am debating about the tires. Most of my flying will probably be on paved strips but my goal is to do a significant amount of flying from grass/dirt strips. As it stands I have ordered the 850 x 6 6 ply treaded tires with tubes. My decision is based on 1) I like the looks of the bigger tires 2) I think the larger tires will be better on grass/dirt and 3) I suspect the treaded tires will perform and wear better on paved strips. Since I have no experience with tail draggers and back country flying and only a few hundred hours flying light airplanes I am looking for advice/recommendations on my choice.

Default Re: Tire Choice

I just did a lot of research on this topic and am going to purchased the 22" 850x6 desser tires. From what I understand these are about as small as most the kit fox guys run who do any type of off airport flying. What I have noticed is that most people start with the 22" 850 (A few with the 21/800 desser) and they quickly go up to a 26"+ tire. The Desser 27.5 on the 8" wheel is very popular and will most likely be the set I go with.

I also plan on running the 850's tubeless which I have spoken to many people saying they have all done this with little issue even tho they say tubed type.

If you stick with the e series matco wheel they claim you can just buy new wheels ranging from 6", 8", 10", 12" and they bolt right on your axle and brake setup.

Below is what I plan on doing.

Matco 6" wheel e series with single caliper brakes
    1.25" matco axle
    tubeless kit
    22" 850 desser - tubeless

I also fly a model 4 1200

Full disclosure up front: I haven't actually *flown* on my tires yet.

I have the Desser 22" 850 x 6" smooth tires. They are popular, and seem like a good compromise for a multi-mission airplane. Not too draggy, but still give some cushion on rough surfaces. They do well off pavement, but don't wear too quickly when on pavement. They don't cost $1500 a piece.

I've landed on bigger tires, which makes it feel like you're landing on a giant marshmallow. It's really nice. Will the big tire bug bite after I have some experience on the 22s? Time will tell.
    Last edited by aviator79; 12-05-2018 at 01:52 PM.
    --Brian
    Flying - S7SS

I have been using the Desser 800x6 tires for 5 years and plan to replace them soon with the 850x6 smoothies. Tire choice is supposedly all about performance in off airport landings, but I suspect that the majority of folks that buy the 26" and up bushwheels do so for the cool macho look factor. I will readily admit that I would do the same if I could afford it. However, I am quite sure that if I had 29's on my plane I would not go anywhere that my 21"/22" would not be just fine. Some may disagree, but in my opinion anything designated as an airport/airstrip turf or dirt backcountry or not can be handled adequately by the Desser 22"/850x6 tires. The same goes for many of the off-airport river gravel bars.

I sincerely am not throwing stones or making fun of the big tire guys because as I said before I really like the look and "extra cushion" it gives you for bad landings. Also no question the hard core Trent Palmer/Cowboys guys really need them. This is meant as a tickler for discussion and I would be very interested to hear from those that disagree, and those that have honestly found the 22" tires to be inadequate for the type of backcountry flying they do. Has anyone actually sustained damage by using the 22" where they feel larger bushwheels would have prevented it? Has anyone actually changed their choices of rough landing areas by switching from 22" to larger bushwheels?
    Jim Ott
    Portland, OR
    Kitfox SS7 flying
    Rotax 912ULS

Bill, Like you, when I ordered and built my Series 5 ,15 years ago,I went with the 8.50 treaded tires for the same reasons you specified, however that turned out to be a bad idea. With those tires, landing on pavement was always a bout with mr.toads wild ride. Reason was that those tires weigh a bunch and required a lot of force to spin up on initial touchdown sending you on the forementioned wild ride. Next tire was a treaded 8.00 size tire with a much reduced weight and the problem went away. I fell prey last summer to big tire envy like a bunch of other guys and went with the Desser 8.50 smoothies and absolutely love em. Same weight as the 8.00 treaded that I replaced (for sale by the way) and no surprises on touchdown on pavement. I do 75% grass ,25% hard surfaces and though I only have 50 hours on them , no wear is evident plus they look cool ,and my cruise only went doen a couple MPH. hope this helps Bruce N199CL

airlina did you go tubed or tubeless? I just got those tires for the KF 4 and i'm going tubeless.

Hey Al, been following your thread about going tubeless, and being raised a good Christian I couldn't bring myself to be going around tubeless so I am a devout tuber. I run my tires on cleveland wheels with pressures at 14 PSI and have a silver sharpie witness mark on my tires and wheels that I check on preflight to make sure That there is no misalignment of tire and tube. No problems to date. Bruce N199CL

Bruce, how much are you asking for the 800's?
    SS7 O-200 Whirlwind

I personally feel that the 21 inch tire on a kitfox is just fine. I flew most the life between me and my kitfox 14years on 21's. but the introduction of the nanco tires were not so pleasing to me, I needed something better. than come the 27.5 tire from desser that took me a long period of time to finally get. these are much better priced than the Alaska brand tire. 500dollars each. I thought they were a bit pricy still. I finally took the plunge and yes I am very happy with them. I could have gotten away with a 21 inch tire no problem with my flying but I wanted a better tire that didn't bounce around from out of round. I truly love the tires and the wear is very good on pavement. grass is such a joy. I had a emergency landing in a field and it was doubly nice to have the big tires. so the 22's should work out real nice without blowing your budget.
    steve
    slyfox
    model IV 1200-flying
    912uls
    IVO medium in-flight
    RV7A-flying
    IO-360
    constant speed prop

I am using the Desser 850x6 (22") smoothie tires for the reasons stated by airlina and jiott. I don't think there is anywhere I would go that these tires wouldn't be sufficient. They hold up very well with landing on pavement which is over 50% of my landings.

I run them from 11-14 psi and have experienced a little slippage. I put slippage marks on tire and have gotten 1/4 to 3/8" movement in the course of a year (I fix it at the annual inspection). Like others have said . . . watch the valve stem.

BTW I got rid of the normal 8.50x6 tires that came with my plane (I bought mine as an unfinished project). Again, this was at the recommendation of others on this forum. They were very heavy and stiff.
    Phil Nelson
    A&P-IA, Maintenance Instructor
    KF 5 Outback, Cont. IO-240
    Flying since 2016